46 | A Brick Wall

Fawn was tired, so tired. She hadn't stopped to think about how much she's dealt with but the next day when she woke, her body felt a million stones heavier. The feeling of this kind of desperate need for rest reminded Fawnie Rose of her childhood when they'd go days without food because they were robbed or Arthur Senior would return to scam Arthur Junior out of the family's little savings.

The pangs in her stomach would make her topple over in pain before forcing herself to sleep. Even when they tried to get food from neighbors, they were turned away. She and Finn resorted to thievery, they'd find unsuspecting strangers and steal while the other caused a ruckus elsewhere. It worked nicely for a time until everyone began to recognize the children.

Luckily by the time the war rolled around, Tommy had made the betting business worth something. Fawnie was only six when the boys left, but she remembered it as though it was yesterday. John had promised he'd be back, and told her to watch after his wife and kids. She liked her cousins well enough, even if they were older than her.

Despite everyone believing Fawnie was their aunt, John's eldest, Katie would call Fawn their "little auntie" due to Katie being a few years older than Fawn. They never really acted like Fawnie was their elder by title, treating her like one of their own. But she didn't see them much after the war, schooling and working in-between kept her on her own. Spending most of her time with Finn, Winnie, and Aunt Polly.

Katie went off to marry a nice lad from Watery Lane a few years after the war before moving away to some city that Fawn couldn't remember the name of. Letters came here and there, some with photos but most of Katie's contact was with John, of course. But with him gone, it was like she died with him.

Fawnie couldn't decide what bothered her more... the fact that Tommy never lended more than was needed to his nieces and nephews... or the fact that Fawn practically forgot about them once her life became the slightest more complicated than before.

With that thought, Fawn rolled over in bed, shoving her face into the pillow.

She couldn't breathe but she didn't care. It felt nice to just lay in bed, unbothered by the outside world. But Fawnie knew that it would come knocking soon enough. She got comfortable and soon drifted back off to sleep.

━━━━

Ever since she was young, Fawnie has been a light sleeper (for the most part). She'd always been on edge despite always being safe inside the Watery Lane house. But staying in Arrow House was no different, when she heard the door open, she'd assumed Bonnie was coming to shower or something. That was until weight pressed down on the side of the bed and she finally lifted her head to see Tommy.

He sat there quietly, looking at the mirror across from him before looking at Fawn. "You awake?" She nodded. "Pol's out of her mind, you slept nearly all day."