In Her Heat - Chapter Twenty

HEEEEEY, GUYS ! NEW CHAPTEER ! HOPE YOU ENJOY ♥

***

“Fine,” I said, talking around the lump that had settled in my throat. “Fuck you, Cade.” I spat the words out before turning on my heel and rushing out of the door. As I approached her, Kat reached her hand out to grab my arm. Declan caught it mid-air and shook his head at her, letting me pass. I whispered a soft thank you as I ran out the door.

I could hear Cade charging after me. Clearly he hadn’t expected Declan to let me pass. “Ainsley, wait! Declan, what the hell, man?!” Cade yelled. I glanced back and saw that Declan was barring Cade’s exit. I stopped, watching the scene play out for a minute.

“Let her go, Cade.” He said calmly, quietly.

“Don’t tell me what to do with my mate!” He yelled. The word mate caused the lump in my throat to grow until it was almost unbearable. He looked up and saw me standing there. “Ainsley!”

At the call of my name, I shook my head and him and set my feet in motion again. I bypassed the elevator, not wanting to get stuck in it with him. I flew down the stairs two at a time. A sob choked past my lips and my eyes blurred with unshed tears. I clamped my hand over my mouth and kept running, down, down, down, until I reached the bottom. I came out into the lobby. Cade stood there with Reese, his face twisted in agony. They stood in front of the doors, blocking my exit.

“Ainsley, please,” He said, his voice thick. It was the first time I’d ever heard him say please to anyone.

I shook my head at him. “No, Cade.” It hurt to just say his name. I stepped forward to pass him. I brushed Reese aside and grabbed the door handle. A hand clamped down on my arm. I followed the hand to its arm and finally to its owner. Cade. Obviously.

I looked away and closed my eyes. “Let go,” I said quietly but firmly.

“Ainsley. Don’t leave. Please.” I could tell he was just barely restraining from begging, pleading.

I closed my eyes tighter. “Let me go,”

“You can’t go out there by yourself, Ainsley. Not after what just happened.”

“Fine,” I conceded, not looking him in the eyes. It hurt too much to see what I’d thought was concern and care in his eyes. Now I knew it was all pretend.

“Good,” he visibly relaxed. “We’ll go back to my cabin and-”

“I’m going with Reese.” I said, cutting him off.

His body tensed again. “Excuse me?” he nearly growled.

I repeated my words slowly, this time making eye contact. He needed to know I was serious.  “I am going with Reese.”

This time he did growl a low and dangerous sound. It raised the fine hair on my neck and I knew I’d be terrified to face him in a dark alley. But I wasn’t going anywhere with him. I could still feel my tears drying on my cheeks. After the way he’d hurt me... I couldn’t be with him.

Cade briefly locked eyes with Reese and from the tension that shot up drastically I knew there were going to be some problems later on.

“Fine.” I almost didn’t understand him, the way he snarled the word. I jerked my arm out of his grip, brushed past him and went outside. I didn’t look back to see whether or not Reese was following. I knew Cade would have his hide if he wasn’t.

“Your cabin or mine?” Reese called from behind me, once we were a distance away from Headquarters.

“Yours, definitely. I’m not tryna face him when he leaves that meeting.”