In Her Heat - Chapter Twenty-Seven

When I woke up, early the next morning, flecks of water landed on my face. Frowning, I wiped them off, only to have them replaced once more. With a yawn and a stretch, I forced my eyes open. The water was coming through the window Cade had used last night. It was raining outside and drops of rain were slipping through the open window to wet my face.

“Rain, what a great sign,” I mumbled to myself. It was the day of my mating ceremony and it was rainy. On this day, I didn’t even have the sun to wipe away my gloomy disposition.

“Rise and shine,” twittered Athena. “Today’s your big day!” She shut the window and stood by my bedside.

Why was the daycare worker in my room? “Maybe I could shine if the sun was out, but it’s not. It’s raining. And big day my foot. I could have waited a hundred years for this day and still have it come too soon. Where’s Kat?”

“Now that’s just the nerves talking, sweet cheeks. Shaman asked Katarina to help him set up, since she seems to be close to you. You’ll see her later in the day.” Athena said. She dumped a pile of clothes on my bed and planted her hands on her hips. “Now those are your clothes for the ceremony and your special bath stuff is in the bathroom. You need to soak in the tub with the stuff in the bottle on the bathtub counter. Use all of it. No makeup, and wear your hair loose. Get to it!” With that, she bustled out of the room.

I pushed myself to my feet and made my way to the adjoining bathroom. Maybe Athena was right, and I was just nervous. I mean, once I was mated that was it. There was no escaping that bond. I held back a moan as my thighs rubbed together erotically. Maybe this wasn’t such a bad thing. At least then I wouldn’t be horny all day anymore.

In the stark white bathroom, I filled the tub with scalding water. I wanted it to burn away the nerves, purge my body of them. I located the bottle Athena had mentioned. It was a pale pink bottle with no labels, no markings and no writings. The non-descript bottle did not help my nerves - I didn’t even know what I was about to bathe in. I uncapped it and sniffed the contents. There was a faint smell of some kind of berries. Strawberries, maybe raspberries.

Taking a deep breath, I tilted the bottle over the tub. “Here goes nothing… Actually, I can’t say that - I don’t know what’s in this bottle.” I still poured the liquid into the water. It bubbled upon contact, then calmed into a soft sizzle. I stripped out of what little clothes I had on and dipped one toe into the water. It tingled pleasantly, like a gentle massage.

I slowly eased the rest of my body into the hot, sizzling water. Once my full body was immersed I realized it was not like a gentle massage. It was like a torturous, erotic massage. The tingling reached deep into my sex and teased my nipples. I drew in a shaky breath. This bath was definitely not working. I tried to distract myself by shaving my armpits, legs and between my legs with a razor I’d found on the counter. I dunked my head  into the water and pulled it out, letting the cool air smack my face. It didn’t work. Rather, it made my lips tingle.

“Athena?” I called out. “How long do I need to soak?”

“One minute, darling,” the voice was muffled. A seconds later it was clearer. She was standing outside the door, I guessed. “You only need to soak for about five minutes.”

In theory, five minutes is not a long period of time. But when your already horny body is subjected to even more arousal, it’s equivalent to five long, long decades.

“Okay, Ainsley, you’re good to come out.” Said Athena.

I hopped out of the bath so quickly water sloshed out of the tub and onto the once dry tiles. I snatched a towel off the towel rack and quickly dried my body, trying to avoid my throbbing center and hardened nipples. When my body, excluding aforementioned parts, was dry, I used the towel to wrap my hair and grabbed a second towel for my body.