In Her Heat - Chapter Ten

New chapter. Enjoy !

***

I woke up in a soft bed, my body stiff, the scent of stew wafting into my nostrils. With a groan, I forced my eyes open.

"You're awake," said a soft voice. I looked to the side of the bed I lay in. A petite woman sat in a chair, a romance book folded across her lap. She was Asian with wide, almond shaped eyes and deep brown ehair. A small beauty mark topped smiling lips.

"Um, yeah," I said. "Who are you?" I asked. It hurt slightly to talk. I sat up. On the bedside table beside me was a glass a water with three cubes of ice. It looked deliciously cold.

She saw me eyeing the glass and reached over to grab it. Handing it to me she said, "This is for you. And I'm Mara. I probably should have said that before."

I nodded and took a deep pull of water. I felt the coolness slide down my throat and settle in my stomach. I looked around. For the second time in less than two days I was in a new room. This one looked lived in and masculine though. The room was pretty big and the bed I laid in looked to be queen sized at least. The bedcovers were gold with a black snaking design and the walls were a deep burgundy.

I opened my mouth to ask where I was, but Mara seemed to anticipate my question. "So how are you feeling?" She asked me. I frowned. What was she talking about? Noticing my confusion she touched her throat. "I mean, how is your throat feeling?"

I mirrored her action, touching my own throat. Covering it was a bandage. The image of blood covering my hands as I pulled them from my throat flashed through my head. "Raoul..." I said. I glanced around the room. Had the guys gotten rid of him or was he hiding somewhere? Watching, waiting.

"The guys took care of him, don't worry," Mara assured me. "He's being held in a cell at headquarters." I sighed in relief. "But really, how's your throat feeling?"

"It's fine, I guess. It hurts a little to talk but it's no big deal, really." I looked around the room. Where was I?

Just as I was about to ask, she asked me another question. "Are you still tired? You can go back to sleep if you're still tired. I know I would be after everything that's happened." Mara glanced nervously at the door, then back at me. Then back at the door I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at the door. Was she waiting for someone?

"Are you expecting someone?" I asked.

"No! Uh, no. Not expecting anyone." She laughed nervously. I narrowed my eyes. What was going on here?

"So are you tired?" She asked again. "Because I can-"

"Where am I?" I cut her off. Yeah, it was rude but something was up.

"Um," Mara wrung her hands together and looked at the door again.

"Mara," I said, my voice lowering. She tried to smile, but her mouth quivered. "I wouldn't be in Cade's cabin would I?"

Her mouth popped open. "Um,"

"My God, I TOLD Damon I wasn't sharing a room with that bastard!" I flung the light sheets off my body, only to discover as the air hit my skin that I was naked. Cheeks flushed, I pulled the blanket back on. How did I always manage to not notice that? I glared at Mara. "Where the hell are my clothes?" I demanded. I didn't care if I was scaring her, I was pissed. Again, she wrung her hands together and shot a glance at the door. "Mara."

She recognized through my tone that I wasn't joking around here and sighed. "Damon took them so you couldn't leave."

"Where the hell is he now?"