In Her Heat - Chapter Thirty Six

Hey guys, sorry for the wait! I wasn't sure where I wanted to go with this story but I think I've got it figured out. Enjoy this chapter, it's the beginning of a new world for Ainsley!

_____________________

Dungeons, apparently, had not gone out of style.

After I’d been kidnapped and lead out of the building, I’d been blindfolded and dumped here. I didn’t know exactly where here was, but it was definitely underground. The area surrounding me was dark, damp and dripping. Mice scurried in and out of walls. I, however, didn’t have as much freedom. I was sitting in a cage, which was a lot more degrading than it sounds. I just fit and was feeling squished. I could have had more space, if it weren’t for the suspiciously red and wet puddle taking up a good part of my cage.

I sighed and tentatively rested my head against the bars of my confinement. How did I always manage to end up in situations like this? I was being held hostage, Kat had been unconscious the last time I saw her and I had no clue what had happened to Cade and Declan. Hopefully they were safe. The thought of my friends being hurt or in trouble because of me sucked. Ever since I’d gotten on the reserve I’d caused nothing but problems.

I was more of a distraction and a catalyst then the savior people were making me out to be. At the moment, it seemed like I was most likely to screw up the Were world than bring peace to the war about to happen.

A wave of homesickness slammed into me. It wasn’t necessarily for my home, but for the way my old life had been - going to school, working at the diner, hanging out with my friends. I could never go back to that and the thought made me sadder than I thought it would. Here, in the Were world, too much depended on me, and I couldn't say for sure that I could live up to expectations.

Somehow, I fell asleep. It was fitful and the cement floor didn’t make much of a bed, but it was sleep. I woke up to the sound of voices arguing. They belonged to a man and a woman and from the sound of it, the woman was winning.

“She’s already mated, I can smell it on her. What more can you possibly do?” The man sounded frustrated, as though this wasn’t the first time he’d made this point.

“Now Sawyer, that lack of strategy is why you’ll never be Alpha.” The voices stopped outside the door to my dungeon. “So are you going to help me or not?” The question was asked quietly, but was thickly underlined with a threat. Sawyer, in my opinion, didn’t seem to have much of a choice. A long pause later, the door creaked open.

Sawyer entered first, carrying a large case. He was Vietnamese with spiky brown hair and chocolate brown eyes. He wasn’t tall, but the way he held himself told me that that didn’t put him at a disadvantage.

He strode across the room, not sparing me a single glance. From the other end of the room, he picked up a chair. As he placed it in front of me, he hesitated a split second. I didn’t have time to linger on it, as the woman who entered next, took my full attention.

I’d like to say she clomped sloppily toward me, but that would be me speaking out of pure jealousy. The fact was, she positively glided to descend upon the chair. Her movements made Kat appear like a bull with its tail on fire. Her hair was a long, fiery mane that flowed around her bared shoulders. Her eyes were a haunting pale blue and the intensity with which they looked at me made my heart hurt. Her skin was tanned and would have been absolutely flawless, if it wasn’t for the scar running across her face. My blood ran cold.