In Her Heat - Chapter Thirty Nine

The train gave me time to sleep – really, finally, sleep. With my head resting on Cade’s shoulder, his arm around me and his scent in the air, I felt at home, at peace. Even with everything that was going on, just being with my mate made me feel like all hell could rain and we would remain dry and untouched.

I awoke to soft gray eyes caressing my face. Just like always I lost my breath. I knew Cade knew the effect he had on me as those gray eyes crinkles at me as he smiled. I positively melted. There couldn't possibly be a better way to make up. I’m sorry, but anything suggesting otherwise is completely ludicrous. I wouldn't even trade waking up to Cade’s eyes to waking up to money falling over my face or a house completely made of chocolate.

“Morning , gorgeous,” he rumbled. His free hand grazed over my cheek, nose, and temple. His hand slid to my scar and I stiffened. When he began to stroke the length of it - the long, long length of it – I jerked away.

“Cade don't.”

“What?” He shifted to face me and looked over my scar. His appraisal of it was so thorough I began to feel sick.

“I have to go.” I stood up, but Cade caught my hand and pulled me down facing him on his lap. I buried my face in his shoulder, unable to face his criticism. Cade had never been one to mince words, not even with me, and I didn’t expect him to start now.

“Ainsley, look at me,” he sighed.

“No.”

“Ainsley. Please.” There was a slight growl to his voice. Cade never liked being refused.

Slowly, I raised my head. As I met his eyes, I saw anger clash through those gray orbs.

I almost threw up.

“Damnit, Ainsley.” Cade’s words were rough, his voice a mix of anger and confusion. Tears filled my eyes and I lowered them. Never in my life had I felt more ashamed of myself. I didn’t know if he would still want me. With his looks he could have his share of the women in the pack. I’d seen them and as much as I wished differently none of them came relatively close to being hideous. Without Cade I had no place in the Were world, but my old world no longer belonged to me.

Silence reigned between us as Cade continued to scrutinize my face. The longer he stared the more my discomfort and unhappiness grew. It got to the point where I couldn't stop the tear that slid from my eye.

It was as if the moment had pulled him out of his reverie. Cade’s hand came to cup my check and I leaned into it, relishing his touch. His thumb swiped away the tear.

“Damnit it, Ainsley. How are you even more beautiful now?”

He didn’t give me a chance to answer, but instead leaned in and kissed me.

It seemed like forever since we had kissed, but our lips molded together as if they’d never been separated. The world and its problems completely fell away. This was all that mattered: Cade and I. Nothing could touch us because we were mates – we were destined to be together. I was his and even better, he was mine.