In Her Heat - Chapter Eleven

I cried out in pain and doubled over on the bed. Powerful contractions wracked my body and left me gasping for air. My head pounded, the beat of blood surging through me a painful thrum. I squeezed my eyes tight and struggled to make sense of the pain. A second wave of pain struck and I screamed, loud and hard until the pain prevented me from making sound.

"What the hell, shaman!" Cade yelled. I heard the scratch of the chair's legs as he pushed it away, and ran to my side. The bed gave under his weight as he sat next to me. His arm went around my waist, pulling me to him. I complied and as the pain struck again, I gripped his forearm, my nails sinking into the skin there. He hissed in pain but the only pain I could be concerned with at the moment was mine. I buried my head in his chest to muffle my screams. Again, the pain rose, like a tsunami.

I knew I was about to drown.

It crashed over me, powerful as ever and I screamed bloody murder. I screamed and screamed in agony, gripping Cade fiercely. I could feel tears leaking down my face from the intense pain. A fourth wave crashed over me and I was gone.

I woke up after what felt like an eternity. I was buried in soft covers and plump pillows. I let my eyes drift open. The fading light coming in through the window told me it was early evening. I looked around - I was in Cade's cabin again. I would have complained but I was completely and utterly drained. I sighed and went to push myself into a sitting position. When my abdomen flexed, I cried out as a sharp pain sliced through me. I recalled the fierce pain I'd been through earlier in the day and groaned.

Cade rushed into the room, a look of worry on his beautiful face. I slumped back onto the pillows. He came to my side and sat in the same chair Mara had sat in a few hours ago. "Are you okay? You keep passing out."

"Must be something in the water here," I said dryly.

Cade laughed softly, his eyes crinkling up. I stared in awe. He was devastatingly gorgeous when he smiled. "Really, Ainsley. How are you feeling?"

"I'm in pain. My lower stomach is killing me."

He nodded. "Shaman said that would happen."

"What did he give me anyways?" I asked.

Cade shifted on the bed, making himself more comfortable. "He said it was an herbal tea passed down from our ancestors. It's used to determine how far in heat a female werewolf is. How many waves of pain you experience tell us how far in you are - the more waves, the further in heat you are. Typically, the peak number is about 40. You only had about four or five." I groaned. Cade smiled sympathetically before continuing. "The strength of the waves tell us how strong the mating will be. Shaman said yours were the strongest he's ever seen." I closed my eyes. Yet another thing to add to the What Makes Me Special list. "You're going to have to go back and drink the tea at least six more times," Cade added.

My eyes popped open at that. "What?! No! I'm not going. I felt like I was dying Cade. I can't do that again."

"Ainsley. You're a strong woman. You'll be able to handle it."

"Cade..."

"Ainsley. You'll be fine, don't worry."