In Her Heat - Chapter Thirty-Seven

Hey guys! Check out my message board to find out how you can contribute greatly to IN HER HEAT through my CHARACTER CONTEST! Enjoy the chapter!!

***

For four long days I sat in my cage, watching the unmoving bodies of my friends. Sawyer and two other men would take turns watching over us, but they never said a word.

Sawyer seemed agitated, especially when he caught me watching him. His nerves made me nervous, and the cage was beginning to make me claustrophobic. Things were not looking on.

On the third day, Irina came back, dagger in hand, to finish what she had started. By then, I was weak from a lack of food. I managed only one scream of pure, lightning-white pain before I finally passed out. My unconsciousness didn’t deter Irina, though. It only fueled her creativity. When I awoke, not only did I had a scar similar to hers, but I had a tribal-like design carved into the skin just above my jaw. I knew neither of them would ever heal completely, even with my Were blood. She had cut too deep.

On the morning of the fourth day, I finally got food. It was like magic, seeing Sawyer come in for his shirt, holding a bottle of water and a cheese sandwich. It was hardly the breakfast of champions, but it was better than the saliva I’d been washing down day after day. I’d been starting to feel like my stomach was eating itself, it craved food so desperately.

He slid the food the food to me through the bars. I bit into the sandwich, watching him with steady, unblinking eyes. He shifted uneasily. I chewed slowly, trying not to throw it all back up.

“No thanks?”

Was he kidding? Did he want me to curtsy and thank him for the cage too?

“What’s wrong with my friends” I spoke with my mouth full. My manners wouldn’t be wasted on animals. Wait? Could I still say that, being Were and all? Probably not.

He rubbed his scar as he tried not to meet my eyes.

“Answer me, damn it!” I grabbed the bars of my cage, sandwich forgotten, and shook. I was not playing games with him. I was tired of watching my friends, slumped in their cages, now caked with dried blood. I was sick of staring at their chests waiting, hoping to see any kind of movement from one of them, but instead, being met with nothing.

I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I’d had enough. “Tell me what’s wrong with my friends.” It was a demand, not one to be disobeyed. It pinched slightly to speak as the skin around my scarred jaw attempted to heal, but it couldn't have been any worse than what my friends had gone through.

“He can’t.”

I whirled around to look at the door. Irina stood there, fierce as ever. “Might I say you’re looking particularly lovely these days?” As she looked over the scars she had carved into my face, I could sense her satisfaction. She was pure evil.

“It’s unfortunate I can’t say the same about you,” I shot back.