In Her Heat - Chapter Twenty Eight

THIS UPLOAD GOES OUT TO MY TWO BIGGEST FANS: fatendestinny AND puglvr!!!! THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT! YOU HELPED ME REACH THIS POINT! ♥

***

Right. Left. Right. Left. I placed one foot in front of the other, focusing on my steps as I made my way, head down, behind Athena to the woods. The gravel poked my feet, but it didn’t bother me. I felt connected with the earth as my bare feet touched the ground and a soft breeze wrapped itself around my body. My heart beat hard in my chest, but regularly. I was no longer afraid, I was ready to meet my fate.

The gravel turned to grass as I entered the woods. The smell of pine filled my nostrils and the noises of small creatures met my ears. Rays of sunlight filtered in through the wide leaves of the many trees which made up these woods. My woods.

As we walked further and further into the woods, we came into a clearing, I became aware of other presences. I raised my head. It was just as Athena had described it. Shaman standing at the opening of a semi circle of unmated men and around them, a full circle of mated men and women, un mated women and children. Nobody spoke but the excitement was palpable. Everyone wanted to know who the prophesized female were would mate with.

I looked at the faces of the unmated men who stood in a semi circle. Some I had seen around the reserve, others I had not. Among them stood, Cameron, Declan, Shane, Gabe and of course, Cade. He was looking at me when my eyes finally fell on him, and I held his gaze. Had he been able to get the men to agree to and old--fashioned mating? All the men who stood in the semi-circle were bare chested with either jeans or shorts on and were like me, barefoot.

My eyes turned to Shaman. He didn’t smile but his eyes were friendly and comforting. He wore a long brown robe with large rings on his fingers. He wore brown leather sandals.
Athena joined the weres standing in a full circle. I now stood alone. I made my way to Shaman, my steps even and steady. I could the weight of their stares, but it wasn’t an uncomfortable weight. They were my people.

This revelation shook me a little. I now thought of this reserve as my home and the people who lived here, my people, my family. Through this revelation I felt a little closer to my parents. Besides, what other day would be better for me to realize this than on my, well I suppose you could this a wedding day of sorts.

Finally, I stood in front of Shaman. For a few moments, we stood there in silence, the rustling of leaves in the breeze the only sounds. The silence didn’t worry me though, it was a peaceful silence, a content silence. Then he stretched out his arms to me and placed one hand on either side of my face. He leaned in and rested his forehead against mine.

“My daughter.” The words were said quietly but they echoed throughout the entire clearing and warmed my heart.

“Shaman,” I said, smiling slightly.

“A werewolf mates for life,” Shaman said. “Ours is a bond that is unbreakable. Jealousy, manipulation, not even death can break the bond that is formed between two werewolves. It comes from the heart, deep inside the heart where feelings are true and unclouded by worries and anxieties of the brain. You, daughter, today you join yourself together with another. You become one half of a whole. You become mated.

“This day, we step into the past to perform a mating the way it was once done. When I speak the words of mating, Ainsley’s heart and that of her mate will become one, the way nature has intended it to be.”

My heart soared at these words. Cade had done it! I would have turned back to look at him, but Shaman had begun speaking once more.

When he spoke, it was in a tongue my conscious mind did not recognize, but one my subconscious mind - my true self - did.

The world fell away.

Darkness ensued, it wasn’t necessarily scary, but it wasn’t comfortable. I couldn’t see anything, but I didn’t need to: I could feel. I could feel my other heart, there in the darkness with me. It reached out to me, and I went to it, seeking the touch. The moment we connected the darkness exploded into light. It blinded me, sending sparks flying into my vision. Oranges, pinks, yellows. It was utterly beautiful.  This was the face of love. It reached inside my soul and made a home there. I was filled with love, with beauty, with warmth. I could stay here forever.

But there was a flicker of something, something I was supposed to remember. It was dulling the beautiful lights. I struggled to remember. I knew it was important, but I didn’t want to take the time to leave this place and concentrate on remembering. But the light was fading away now, and so was the presence of my mate. It wasn’t as beautiful and the darkness was threatening to take over again. The light and my other half were bleeding away more and more quickly. I fought to remember the thing that was so important, that I wasn’t supposed to forget. Just as the light as about to slip away, I remembered. I had to fight this. I reached out for the last sliver of light and grabbed onto to that other presence. My fingers grazed it, but didn’t quite meet. I started to panic. This was not good. I tried again, the light just barely there. I lunged for it and grabbed onto it, my fingers clenching around it.

I gasped as the world was thrown back at me. I was panting and lightheaded. I felt like I would collapse. But I didn’t. Strong arms were holding me tightly, keeping me standing. My mate. I could sense it. This felt right.

My eyes traced the arms up to the chest… the neck… and finally the face. My eyes met intense, stormy gray eyes.

Cade.

Happiness stuck me, so fast and so hard I faint. This was the face that I wanted to see forever. This was my love, my heart, my mate.

I couldn’t resist. I stretched up to meet his lips. It was bliss. His lips moved over mine, tasting, exploring as if it was the very first time. I melted into him. The kiss grew more passionate. I wanted him. His tongue licked my lips, asking to be let in. I parted my lips and his tongue had slid in, mating with mine.

A beautiful chorus of howls pierced the air. They gave me shivers. I broke the kiss and looked around me at my family. Backs arched, faces upturned to the sky, they howled their joy and happiness. The symphony faded, the last notes floating into the sky. I looked around at the faces of my family. Kat. Livia. Shaman. But most importantly, Cade.

***

The celebrations lasted long into the night. The entire mood wasWe ate around a huge bonfire, the fire flickering across happy faces. Cade and I didn’t say much to each other. We didn’t need to. His eyes told me enough.

When me and Cade finally made our way to our cabin, I was exhausted. Cade stopped a few steps away the door. I turned to him to ask why he’d stopped. The look in his eyes stopped my words. I was drawn into his arms where his mouth came crushing down on mine. My hands cupped his face as I kissed him with everything I had, everything I was. His hands rested on my waist where they held me tightly to his body. I pressed into him, wanting all of him and to give him all of me.

He broke the kiss. My name left his lips on a ragged moan. It sent heat flashing through my body. His lips bit my neck gently before kissing over it gently. He raised his head and looked me deep in the eyes. I lost myself for a moment in his gaze. His eyes were soft and tender and utterly caring. I knew what he was going to say before the words left his beautiful lips.

“I love you.”