Bonus Chapter ↝ Butterscotch

BACK IN THE UK, FIRST YEAR OF UNIVERSITY, AGED NINETEEN

BACK IN THE UK,
FIRST YEAR OF UNIVERSITY,
AGED NINETEEN.
BEFORE THE INCIDENT.

"And that's all for today ladies. You're dismissed, see you all next week!"

My dance instructor of nearly fourteen years smiles approvingly at the rest of us, the gesture making the smile lines that had formed in the corner of her eyes throughout the years prominent. Polly has been my teacher and mentor since I can remember, I grew up dancing with her.

I wave goodbye to her before heading to the locker room, my two friends, Halle and Reyna by my side.

"Can we go get iced coffee after this? I'm absolutely wiped and I have an assignment due tomorrow." Halle groans, sitting down on the bench and rubbing her feet.

"Yeah, sure." I chip, just before ducking into a stall to change out of my leotard, and get into my comfy leggings, hoodie and sneakers.

After changing, I walk out, pulling my hair up into a ponytail. Halle and Reyna have already changed, so we wave goodbye to a few other girls that we dance with, and set off.

The harsh icy British wind greets us, causing strands of my hair to dance off my face. I reach up and tuck the strands behind my ear, falling into step in between Halle and Reyna as we walk down the street to my car.

Sliding into the driver's seat of my trusty little Kia Rio, Halle takes the passenger seat while Reyna gets in the back. I pull out of the car park, reversing into the main road and setting off.

Our usual café is a small yet modern place right near our university. The café's the hotspot for the our university's students, including us.

I pull up into the small parking space in front of the cafe, and the three of us get out and saunter inside, the heating of the place greeting us warmly. The aroma of coffee and baked goods floods into my nostrils, the soft pop music playing from the speakers matching the whole comfortable vibe, along with the chatter and laughter of the many students from the university I attend.

Halle and Reyna make a beeline to the counter, and I'm about to follow them when I hear someone call my name.

"Alex!"

I swivel around on my heel, my eyes dancing across the café until they finally halt on a booth at the far end of the place with a group of people my age.

My brain registers the familiar faces, recognising them as my friends. I wave at them in response, motioning them to wait a moment before joining Halle and Reyna at the cashier. After grabbing our iced coffee's, the three of us join our friends at their booth, immediately getting reeled into random conversations.