30 ↝ Twinkle Toes

"At night, when the stars light up my room,
I sit by myself, talking to the moon,
trying to get to you."
Talking To The Moon - Bruno Mars

"This guy Kye sounds absolutely dreamy." Halle says, spooning her cup of coffee. Her hand lifts to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. Her blonde hair is cut to her shoulders now, a nice change to the waist length she always had.

"He really is. He's great." I smile, fondly remembering Kye. I make a mental note to text him later.

"When are you going back?" Reyna asks, and I turn my head in her direction. Her slender face is just as I remember, striking hazel eyes and full lips. She looks like she belongs in billboards and magazine covers.

They both do.

"January first." I say, lifting my styrofoam cup of hot chocolate to my lips. "Classes don't start until the second week but I figured I should go early and get a head start."

"Yeah, definitely." Halle nods, wrapping her gloved hands around her own cup of coffee.

"How's uni been treating you guys?" I question.

"Can't complain, really. Just the usual." Reyna says. "Halle here is having a little extra fun as always, of course." Reyna nudges Halle, who flushes.

"Is that so?" I smile. "Do tell."

Halle chews on her bottom lip, almost hesitant. "It's Nate."

Surprise washes over me, but I mask it. "Oh?"

"Yeah. We've been hanging out for a while now." Halle says, her eyes watching me carefully, almost cautious. "I would've told you but—"

I shake my head, letting out a breathy laugh. "Don't worry about it, Halle. It's not like we were together officially. It was just a stupid fling. A situationship, as Reyna used to call it." I throw a smile in Reyna's direction who nods.

Halle visibly relaxes, and the conversation shifts over to family. After another hour or so of catching up, I have to go home for dinner. Hugging both of them goodbye, and exchanging numbers, promising to keep in touch this time, I head back home, feeling lighter, and happier.

✢ ✢ ✢

New Year comes and goes, and before I know it, I'm back at the airport, hugging my brother goodbye right at the spot where he greeted me just a week or so ago.

"See you soon, Dad." I hug him tightly, inhaling his comforting cologne.

"S'agapo, Alex."

"S'agapo, Dad." I smile up at him, trying my best to fight the tears pricking behind my eyes. Waving goodbye, I head inside. A long flight and several hours later, I'm stepping out of JFK airport. I hail a taxi to get back to university.

The snow has stopped falling, but the weather is still chilly. To my surprise, campus is not as deserted as I'd expected it to be, there's a good amount of people mulling around. As I begin walking towards the dorm buildings, I pull out my phone to dial Nessa.

"Hey bestie!" Her cheery voice greets me and I can't help the smile that immediately bursts on my lips.

"Hey Ness. Just wanted to tell you I'm back at uni."

"Oh, already? Did you have a good flight?"

"Yes, it wasn't too bad." I answer, balancing my phone between my cheek and my shoulder as I reach for my pockets to grab my Student ID to swipe into the system to let me into the building.