04 ↝ Pie-Faced

"Met you at your doorstep,
remember how it tasted,
looking into your eyes."
- We Made It by Louis Tomlinson

"Good morning." Kye gives me his infamous smile when I approach him. "Wanna grab a coffee before class?" He offers, as I rub my eyes sleepily, stifling a yawn.

Kye also happens to be majoring in Art, just like I am. We meet up and go together for our 9am Art History class that takes place every other day, and I'm grateful to have him as company.

"Yeah sure." I smile at him softly, and we begin walking towards the campus cafe side by side. Kye meets a friend right outside the cafe, so I offer to go in and order while they chat.  I walk in, heading straight to the register and order an iced coffee for me and a chai latte for Kye, which is his usual order. While they make my order, I stand by the counter, looking around.

The café is at it's usual bustle, the lively energy greatly contrasting to my sleepy one. Although there are some kids scattered around that look tired as hell too, most of them are all energetic, chatting animatedly with friends or doing school work with determined looks on their faces.

My droopy eyes perk up when I spot Hunter at the very back, his stare directly on me. A sleek silver MacBook is open in front of him on the table, along with a few books and a coffee cup. He's sitting alone, his signature leather jacket draped on the back of his chair.

Like always, I'm unsure if I should greet him or not. Slowly and hesitantly, I lift my hand and give him a small wave.

He blinks, almost in surprise, like he didn't expect me to do that. Then, he responds with his usual nod of acknowledgment at me, before going back to his laptop.

The cashier, a girl with a gorgeous Afro who studies here, and works at the cafe for some extra cash, calls out my name. 

I turn around, and she hands me the drinks with a gorgeous grin. "Have a good day, Alex."

Glancing at her nametag, I respond. "You as well, Diana."

As I walk out the door, I steal one last glance at Hunter, who's still lost in his work, before stepping out into the chilly morning air. Kye says goodbye to his friend when he sees me coming, and I hand him his drink before we set off to class.

Almost six long hours later, my classes for the day are finally done. I heave a sigh of relief tiredly as I exit my Social Psychology class. I begin walking towards the dorms. The sun is setting, and the air is becoming chilly again. It's a Friday, so people are out and about, heading out of university for the night, to frat parties, or simply just hanging out with friends.

My phone pings in my pocket, and I pull it out.

Nessa: hey! ur done w class right? can you pop by the cafe?

Me: yeah be right there x

Even though all I want to do is go back to the dorm and reunite with my bed, I make a quick detour, and make it to the cafe.

It's cold, and I'm not dressed for it, because my classes are during the day, and it's pretty warm then. I'm grateful for the cosy atmosphere of the cafe that welcomes me when I step in. I look around and see Nessa, Kye, Leo and Kiara seated at our usual table. Shooting them a small wave of acknowledgement, I head to the counter and ask for an iced tea, hoping it would perk me up a little.

I go back to my friends after getting my order, plopping down next to Kiara.

"Hey," I greet, offering a smile at everyone, and they all throw greetings my way.