13 ↝ Never Have I Ever

"The way you look tonight,
it's like I'm gliding on a day trip,
And I feel so alive, it's like my soul just needed maintenance."
- Acid Dreams by MAX

One thing that you should know about American college parties - they never end

Right now, it's nearing 3am, and the party's still going strong. More people are arriving than they're leaving. The past few hours were spent with me drinking lightly, and watching my friends drink so heavily that they forget who I am for a few seconds sometimes.

I'm in the midst of cheering Kye on while he plays beer pong, when Nessa drags me and him, along with a few others including Hunter to the back porch, where a few others that I don't really recognise are gathered, about to play Never Have I Ever.

Everyone is sitting in lounge chairs and garden chairs, and since there's only limited seating, Nessa sits on Miles' lap, Kiara and Liam sharing one chair. I end up having to share a lounge seat with Hunter, the rectangular shaped kind that you find beside pools.

He's straddling the chair, his long legs hanging off the two sides, his back against the backrest of the chair. I'm sitting in between his legs, a little farther away from his body as I'm sitting near the opposite end, cross legged. Nothing of his touches me except his legs that brush against mine occasionally, sending shivers across my body.

I'm fully aware of Hunter's presence behind me, and I squirm a little every time he leans over to grab something and I'd feel his hot breath against the back of my neck.

He had saved me from a PTSD attack, calmed me down and watched over me afterwards with no questions asked. He didn't ask me why, or what. He just stayed close to me as I had asked him to. I don't really know why I asked him to, but for some reason, I feel at ease around him.

Which is ridiculous since I barely know him.

Parties aren't my strong suit, even though I enjoy them, I always feel unsafe. Especially after what happened at the last party I went to. However, him being by my side, not even physically touching me at all, just his presence, relaxes me.

I have no idea why, and I don't know why he even stayed when I asked him to.

"Got it." A boy that I vaguely recognise, probably from one of my classes, bustles through the back door, an armful of white coloured cans that read WhiteClaw. He passes the cans around, until everyone has one.

I turn mine around in my hands, examining it as I have no clue what it is. There's a lion's head on top, and WhiteClaw written in big letters underneath, followed by Natural Lime written across a background of green.

"It's an alcoholic drink, sort of." I hear Hunter's voice behind me, and I don't have space to turn around and look at him so I simply nod. "It doesn't have much alcohol in it, don't worry."