49 ↝ All Bark No Bite

"You've been pushed 'round,
You feel the pain, and when you fall,
Just lean on me."
Never Seen The Rain — Tones & I

"Oh god, why did I choose to come to college? I could've just dropped out and become the next Steve Jobs or something." Kye groans, rubbing his cheek frustratedly as we both walk out of our Art History class.

"Kye, that quiz wasn't even that hard." I laugh, zipping my bag shut. "You just have to study, mate."

"Easy for you to say little miss artist."

I shove him playfully, and he laughs. "Café?"

"Yeah," I nod, craving for some iced tea and a croissant. "I need some energy."

It's spring now, which means the weather is getting warmer and warmer, and I no longer have to wear jackets or hoodies. It's freeing to be able to wear a tank top and some shorts and call it an outfit for class instead of having to layer up. I straighten my baggy t-shirt tucked into my denim high waisted shorts as we take a turn onto the walkway that leads to the café.

"Wanna go over some notes while we eat?" Kye asks, kicking a stray leaf on the ground. "Midterms are coming up."

"Yeah, sure." I respond, pulling my hair up into a ponytail to keep it away from my face. From
the corner of my eye, I see Kye pull out his phone, frowning at it for a second.

"Everything okay?" I ask, nudging him with my shoulder.

Kye sighs, pocketing his phone. "I have this friend, since when we were kids. We were close you know? Inseparable. Until one day shit went down and it broke us apart. She hasn't even looked me in the eye since that night."

Concern grows in my chest at the hurt in his baby blue eyes, and I'm itching to know more so I can comfort him, but his explanation is vague, which means he's not ready to talk about it, and I'm not going to make him.

Before I can respond, Kye continues. "It happened senior year of high school. Hunter, Nessa, they all know her and stuff cos we went to high school together. She went away for university, I have no idea where. I haven't seen or heard from her since."

I slip my hand through his, giving him a small squeeze, wrapping my other hand around his waist, pulling him to me in a side hug as we walked. "I'm sorry, Kye."

Kye lifts his arm and curls it around my shoulders. "It's okay, Al. Everything happens for a reason, I guess. I just hope she's happy wherever she is."

"If you ever need to talk, I'm here, okay?" I tell him, as we approach the glass double doors of the café.

"Thank you." Kye bends down and kisses my cheek, and I see his eyes sparkle with emotion.

Kye is one of the best guys I've ever met. He's one of the first guys I was comfortable with after I came here, and he always looks out for me. The love I have for him is immense, and I want to be there for him just like he is for me. He deserves that, and more.

"Now, let's go grab some iced tea and cookies. It's on me." I smile, tugging him inside, determined to cheer him up. After placing our orders, we take a seat at our usual booth.