02 ↝ Peach

"I've been on my own long enough, maybe you can show me how to love."
- Blinding Lights by The Weeknd

Later that night, we both lay in our beds in pyjamas, full from dinner. We'd spent hours at the cafe, until the two of us decided to walk back to the dorms so I could finish unpacking. Nessa helped me put everything away, and she made us quick burritos for dinner afterwards, which was extremely good.

"What are you majoring in, by the way?" Nessa looks up from her phone, catching my attention.

I look up from my laptop, brushing my hair off my forehead. "Psych and Art."

"Nice. I'm doing Business and Maths." She replies and my eyebrows raise, impressed.

"You're a smartass, then?"  I chuckle, and she rolls her eyes in response, waving her hand in dismissal modestly. Our conversation is interrupted when I hear two steady knocks on the door. Nessa gets to her feet and opens the door, but I can't see who it is, since the door is opened towards my direction.

"Hunter," Nessa greets, with slight surprise on her face. "Are you okay? What's up?"

A small pause follows before a deeper, rougher voice responds. "I'm fine. Just wanted to ask where Leo and Kye are. They're not answering their phones, I thought they were seeing you?"

Nessa shrugs. "They were, but I left a while ago. Maybe they're in the common room?"

I didn't hear Hunter's response to that clearly, but Nessa replies with, "You've got a gig this weekend?"

"Yeah, you guys coming?"

"Of course," Nessa agrees, and they exchange goodbyes before she closes the door. Her eyes land on me and she blinks. "Oh shit. For a second I forgot you were here."

I chuckle, tucking my legs underneath me. "It's alright."

"I've been living alone for a while now, so it'll take some time to get used to having another person. It's nice though." She smiles at me as she gets back on her bed. "That was Hunter. Sorry I couldn't introduce you."

"It's quite alright, don't worry about it." I assure her.

After a few more minutes of talking, Nessa switches off the lights and we mumble goodnight's to each other. I sink back into my bed, relishing in the comfort of my duvet.

The first day of university, the day that I was so nervous, excited and scared about is over. I've spent months and months thinking about this day, pondering over what would happen, what could go wrong, and what would go right.

But by some sheer luck, so far, so good.

✢  ✢   ✢

I fiddle with my pencil as I listen to the professor standing in front of the lecture hall, who's in the midst of explaining the importance of knowing the history of Art.

It's already my third day at university, and things are going better than I anticipated. Leo, Kiara, Nessa and Kye have taken me under their wing, and I'm glad to be slowly becoming a part of their group, regardless of my trust issues. They often mention the fifth member of their group, Hunter, who hasn't been around much for some reason.

Finally, class ends. This is a rescheduled class, so it started late into the evening, once all the other regular classes were finished. Everyone empties out of the lecture hall, and I glance at my phone as I step out into the cold night air.

The time reads 7:30pm, and I'm about to slide my phone back into my pocket, when the screen lights up with a text from Nessa.

Nessa: hi! i'm hanging w kiara at the soccer house, do u wanna join?