twelve

I laid in my bed, freshly bathed, staring at the little stars that glowed slightly on my ceiling. I used to think these things were meant for kids, but having them for at least 15 years now, they actually helped me drown out my thoughts. My aunt made a good decision for placing them here as well.

My stomach grumbled abruptly, disrupting my realm of peace. Okay, I regret not accompanying Haknyeon for lunch, but it's too late now.

I trudged into the kitchen, looking for something appetising and easy to eat, but most of them were either raw protein or fruits that needed peeling. What made it worse was that Aunt Youngshin was at her bakery, and I can't cook for fish sake. Ugh, why can't we have some simple food around here?

"I guess the convenience store it is." I picked up my valuables and headed out.

The street towards the store still irked me even though it was day time and the slightest sound would jolt me up. Luckily, it wasn't that far. As I entered the store, a fresh breeze from the air-conditioner blew right into my face, sending a shiver down my spine. I scanned the minimal aisles they had and pulled myself into the one furthest from the entrance.

[Organic Jeju Products]

Now before you judge me, I can explain. As much as it was part of my diet, I was obsessed with this particular tangerine juice that was imported right from Jeju Island. I still remember the amount of scavenging I did during competition season, and the amount of weight I lost during that scavenging. Okay, I was exaggerating, but the flavour is worth all of it.

I browsed the neatly-stacked items on the shelf, before laying my eyes onto the familiar orange packaging. Found it.

I reached out and grabbed it immediately, admiring it as I headed towards the counter, only to collide into a hard wall that mysteriously appeared in front of me. I looked up scornfully, but my expression quickly changed when I realised it wasn't a wall I bumped into.

The guy in front of me wore the same expression; shock, disgust and malice.

"What absolute luck I have," Donghyuck muttered under his breath, but I could still hear him. I glared at him in return.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed unintentionally. He rolled his eyes, unsurprised. "You're not the only one who comes here, you know? And I lived here longer than you."

I bit my lip to refrain them from twitching with his reply, my eyes shifting to the singular item he was holding. They widened upon the recognisable packaging, darting back to the one I was holding.

Aish, how can we have the same taste as well? Not a lot of people even know about the existence of this beverage back in Seoul.

He seemed to be doing the same thing as our eyes met again without a word. I cleared my throat after a while and straightened my back, subtly hiding the canned drink behind my back.

"If you don't mind, I need to pay." I moved past him, placing the item onto the counter as the cashier scanned it.

"There is a 2-for-1 sale for this beverage, would you like to purchase another one?" She asked as I paused for a good second.

"Um..." I dragged my words as I contemplated. I would be saving half the price if I got another one, but I really only needed one right now. Then again, I could just keep the other one for later, but that means I'll need to carry an extra weight home. Ah, these complicated choices.

I looked back at the Organic aisle, my view being blocked by the same figure I dreaded to see, and that same canned drink. A thoughtless idea popped into my head.