four

I stood rooted outside of the gymnasium, half of my mind telling me not to do this. My ankle isn't fully healed, and it felt like I'm betraying Coach Yoon by training at another club. Not only that, I didn't feel like going back in there after turning down that receptionist's offer flatly yesterday.

"Sigh, I really don't want to do this," I mumbled to myself, dread filling in me all over again, "But what else am I gonna do here anyway?"

My aunt was right, there wasn't anything I found interesting here, and my butt has been itching for some form of exercise. I guess I have no choice.

I entered the centre again, it's strong air conditioning blowing right into my face. The receptionist brightened up at my appearance. Oh boy.

"Oh? You were here yesterday. How can I help you?" She smiled widely, probably expecting my long-awaited application. Well, she was right.

I swallowed my pride deeply and finally asked, "I know I said I wasn't interested, but can I, you know... try out for a class?"

It was as if her smile could not get any bigger.

"Of course! We love welcoming new students." She immediately whipped out a piece of paper from under the counter and a pen, sliding both of them to me. I didn't even get a chance to read through the form when she continued, "Just fill out all your particulars here and you can join the next class which starts in 20 minutes." Geez, it was as if she was waiting to put me in all this while.

I grabbed the pen and filled out all the blanks as she asked. I could feel her stare right through my bones, and to be honest, it's quite uncomfortable.

"By the way, do you have any experience in Taekwondo?" I paused, looking up at her curious eyes.

"Well, not a lot," I lied and she nodded rather disappointedly.

"That's okay, our class is catered well to beginners too, so don't worry about not keeping up," she assured kindly and I nearly scoffed my tonsils out. Right, they don't need to know my abilities anyway.

I signed the final part of the form before sliding it back to her. Without taking a second look, she started typing fiercely into the computer and within a few seconds, she printed another piece of paper.

"Today's a trial, but if you feel like continuing, these are the timeslots available." She passed me a congested table with small boxes highlighted in light grey. "The fees are covered with a weekly cleaning of the gymnasium, so you don't have to worry about that."

"Alright." Was the only polite answer I could think of at the moment. How is she so certain I'll be coming back? Unless they douse me with some no-leaving chemical, there's a 99% chance I'll be staying.

"You can wait at the- oh! Just in time!" She peered over me as I turned to the sound of the door opening. My eyes widened in disgust.

"Donghyuck, can you bring her into the dojang? She's here to try out." The receptionist asked as I scowled at him. He seemed to be scrutinising me as well. Of course, how can he forget the person he knocked over and didn't apologise to? Even I can't get over it.

"Oh, sure." He walked past me swiftly, not even sparing me a glance. The receptionist gestured for me to follow him, which I did reluctantly.

We entered the training ground, still looking as grand as ever. He dumped his duffle bag on one of the benches and took out his neatly folded uniform, leaving me standing at the door unattended.

"Tell me you at least have some background, no one joins here without any knowledge of the sport," he finally said, his eyes still focused on whatever was in his bag. I managed to restrain myself from snapping back at him.