thirteen

There it is, it's that side of him again. But technically, I don't need to accept his offer.

I leaned back against the bench, folding my arms across my chest. "I don't want to."

I expected him to ignore me just there and then, but he continued facing in my direction. In fact, a smug look formed on his face as he replied, "Aren't you too ignorant for someone who wants beat me?"

Oh, don't he dare go there again. I remained unfazed by his recurring comment that just seemed like a bee sting to me. "I realised you're not worth my effort." I shrugged nonchalantly, but I guess that wasn't enough to topple him over.

"Means you actually tried," Donghyuck effortlessly tackled the loophole in my reply, his smirk growing wider as I remained baffled. He continued almost immediately, "But too bad, I guess you failed."

"I didn't-"

"Bother trying? Of course, I was beyond your level anyway." He finished my rebuttal in a well thought out way, except not what I had in mind. It was like he knew exactly what I was going to say. I felt my ears grow red in aggravation as I clenched my fists tightly by my side.

"Aish, he's really getting on my nerves," I mumbled through gritted teeth, trying my best to suppress my anger that was going to erupt like a volcano. But I really couldn't stand the haughty expression that was plastered all over his face. All this just for me to go down there? What's the point? I really need to push him off his high horse.

"Fine, I'm going down." I jumped off the bench and marched down, fully aware of the fact that I just admitted my defeat over that ridiculous war of nerves. Gravity seemed to make it worse as it pulled me down to the shore like a magnet, although I managed to root myself before crashing into him again.

"You're unnecessarily determined," he scoffed as I tried not to let his comment get to me. He looked towards the left and I followed, gazing over the wide sheet of white that covered the beach entirely, with occasional pieces of nature sticking out here and there.

"You know what's a suicide run, right?" He pointed to a row of rocks aligned neatly on the sand, each a distance apart from each other. "Those are the checkpoints, all you need to do is run to each of them and back."

"Easy right?" He turned to me with a mocking look on his face, scrutinising me from head to toe. "But looking at how reluctant you were to even come down here, you aren't gonna put in any effort." I clicked my tongue in denial.

"I guess you think I can't beat you." Those words escaped my mouth without thinking until I realised what they stirred up. Donghyuck raised his eyebrows at me with much scepticism and I could see the competitiveness rising in him.

"You sure?" He piped up, rolling his tongue on the walls of his cheek as he stepped closer. I restrained myself from backing off. "How about this, the first one to finish three-"

He paused, pressing his fingers against his temples as he reconsidered his suggestion. "First one to finish one lap wins."

"Deal," I assured him confidently, although my insides were tumbling around in panic. It would be a lie to say I wasn't the slightest bit nervous, but I can't show him that. Gosh, what have I gotten myself into?

"What's the prize?"

He laughed a little too loud at my harmless question, his voice possibly disturbing the residents all the way in the mainland. He regained composure and stared at me seriously, "Win first, then talk."

Tsk, there's really no limit to his downgrading; the only way was to beat him in this run, but even I know that's physically impossible.

We took our spots behind the stick-drawn line on the stand, getting into our ready stance. I glanced at him, determination plastered all over his face. It'll be too shameless to ask for a head start too.