twenty one

"Yoojin!" Haknyeon called from the other side of the gym, brushing past the crowds of students rushing to go home. He plopped down beside me as I felt his heavy breath exhale onto me, causing me to discreetly shift away from him. "Why'd you leave so suddenly yesterday?"

I hesitated to answer as Donghyuck glanced at me from the side. Of course, I wouldn't tell him about our beef, nor about us making amends, but what else is there to say?

"My aunt was demanding me to come home, sorry for not telling you." I flashed a sheepish grin as a relieved smile formed on his face.

"It's nothing, I was just worried because you looked rather upset when you left." He looked like he wanted to continue, but a quick glance to the side convinced him that he shouldn't. "Anyway, care to join us for our self-training sessions next time?"

"There are next times?" My voice cracked as I raised it in surprise. Honestly, I rarely had any self-training in my old club since it was heavily coach based, so I don't know much about it. The only self-training I did would be running or doing high-intensity training to maintain my physique, but that's about it.

"Of course, did you actually think one session was enough?" Donghyuck butted in straight away in his lethargic voice, "Our exceptional skills don't fall from the sky, you know."

Then again, it would make much more sense to train regularly.

"I didn't ask you to elaborate," I snarled. That must've been the most humble thing he ever said, had that night change him? It can't be. "Just let me know when it'll be."

"Great!" Haknyeon cheered, digging out his phone from his bag, "I'll add you to our group so that we can discuss it more later."

He handed me his phone while I hesitated a little, eventually taking it from him. Well, that's one way to get someone's number. I could feel his anticipation so much that my fingers trembled inexplicably while keying in my number.

"Just so you know," he said while receiving his phone, "We like to train spontaneously, so be prepared." He patted my shoulder and took off to the other corner of the gym where his belongings were. That guy is way too friendly.

Just as he left, I exchanged awkward glances with Donghyuck, who was standing by the wall and folding his uniform. I still can't get over what happened yesterday.

"Yoojin," a calm voice called from behind as I swivelled about my spot, facing Youn with her bag slung loosely on her shoulder. "Wanna grab dinner?"

I raised my eyebrows while hiding my scepticism. "What's the occasion?"

"Nothing, I just realised we haven't eaten together before." She glared at something behind me as her lips twitched. "Alone."

"Oh, let's go then." I hurriedly heaved my bag over my shoulder as I pushed her towards the door, afraid of what might happen if we stayed there any longer.

---

We've reached a fruit stall quite a distance from the training centre, one that sold freshly made fruit juices. I let my eyes toggle between the variety of juices as Youn placed her order.

"What would you like?" She nudged my arm a second later as I hastily made up my mind.

"Tangerine juice, please," I replied over the counter as the lady nodded while manually squeezing an orange. I turned to the girl beside me, who was waiting eagerly for her beverage.

"Didn't you want dinner?" I asked, confused by her weird choice of menu. She gleamed at me as she answered, "This is my dinner."

Sensing my confusion, she continued, "I don't like to eat after 6 but I still need something to replenish my energy, and fruit juice does all that."