Chapter 24

The rest of November passed by and Elsie had been doing everything she could to try and get the image she saw in the Mirror of Erised out of her head. The scene of her and James kissing with a little boy placed on James' hip was all she could ever think about, and she hated it. Not because she didn't like what she saw, but because it was a constant reminder of the one thing she'll never have. So, Elsie tried to distract herself from the flashing image of her best friend by spending more time with someone she knew he wouldn't hang out with: Rory McLaggen.

Elsie had woken up early and ended up heading down to breakfast with McLaggen since none of her other friends were up. The two sat down at the Gryffindor table together and continued the conversation they were having when they were walking to the Great Hall.

"No way!" Elsie exclaimed while laughing and biting into a piece of bacon.

"What do you mean 'no way'? Sam is a great name for if I had a baby boy," McLaggen pointed his finger at the girl sitting next to him.

"No, no. You're way too Irish to name your boy Sam," Elsie began playfully explaining, "I mean, your last name is bloody McLaggen for Godric's sake...it doesn't get more Irish than that."

"Oh yes, of course... I forgot you were an expert on baby names," Rory sarcastically chuckled out while rolling his eyes at Elsie, "Well, what would you suggest I name my son if I ever had one?"

"It has to be something good, like...," Elsie paused to think while tapping her pointer finger on her chin in thought, "Like...Oh, Ive got it! Something like Cormac!"

"Hmmm... Cormac McLaggen," Rory spoke pensively as a smile formed on his face, "I think I like the sound of that."

"Maybe you are a baby name expert," he spoke again while laughing and nudging Elsie with his elbow teasingly.

As their laughter died down, the rest of Elsie's friends finally entered the Great Hall. They made their way over to the Gryffindor table and took their normal seats. Alice sat next to Elsie on one side, and across from her Lily and Marlene sat down. Next to Marlene was Sirius and then Remus, who sat across from Peter. Peter made sure to leave an open spot for James, who normally sat in between him and Elsie, but was still standing due to McLaggen sitting where he usually does.

James' brows furrowed in anger and he crossed his arms over his chest while glaring at the boy in his seat, "Oi, McLaggen. You're in my spot."

McLaggen turned his head around to see an angry James standing behind him. A smug expression took over his face as he commented, "Sorry, mate. Looks like your friend made some room for you next to me though, so it shouldn't be a big deal."

"I've sat next to Elsie every day since first year," James gritted through his teeth, still refusing to sit down, "And, there isn't enough room for the both of us here...so move."

A mischievous smirk formed on Rory's face as he exclaimed, "Ahhh, I get it. Here, I have a solution." He scooped up Elsie from where she was sitting and plopped her down directly on his lap, scooting over to make room for James.

"There," he slyly grinned at the now fuming boy, "Now there's room for both of us."

Elsie, along with all of her friends that were watching, began chuckling at the clever move by Rory. However, James was pissed. He hated that McLaggen was always around, reminding him constantly of how him and Elsie had recently shagged. It made him sick.

James uncrossed his arms and balled his hands into fists, "McLaggen, I swear on Merlin's grave that if you don't get her off your lap I will fuc-,"

Rory cut him off while rolling his eyes, "Relax, Potter. Save your empty threats for another day. I have to go now anyways." He lifted Elsie off his lap and placed her back in her original seat. Rory got up from the table before winking at Elsie and parting from the group. James grumpily sat down in the spot that the boy had just gotten up from.