Chapter 79

WARNING: Proceed with caution...
(To be honest, I have no clue what this warning is for. I just know there needs to be one for this chapter bc of how much I cried writing it)

The holiday season of 1980 came fairly quickly. It was Christmas Day and Elsie and James had invited over all of their closest friends to enjoy Harry's first Christmas together. And despite the danger looming overhead, they wanted to make it special for him and baby Neville Longbottom. Marlene and her newly official girlfriend Dorcas, the Longbottoms, Lily, and the Marauders all cozied up at the Potter household for their first real celebration in years.

Elsie was in the kitchen cleaning off the table from the big dinner they just had when a flash of light snapped in her face. Her head shot over to see a grinning Remus Lupin with a camera pulled up to his face.

"And just what do you think you're doing?" Elsie chuckled as she realized exactly what the flashing light was, "I don't think James or Sirius would be too happy knowing that you're spending all night following me around with that bloody camera."

"You just look adorable in that little Christmas sweater. I can't help myself," Remus replied with a laugh while walking over and placing a kiss on her cheek, "Plus I think you might want to go into the living room. I just took a picture of something that I believe you need to see with your own two eyes."

Elsie groaned and looked over at Remus with concern written all over her face, "Please don't tell me Sirius and James got drunk and are attempting to strip for everyone like they did last weekend."

The scar-faced boy snickered at her comment before his eyes lit up, "That was quite a sight to see, but no it's something else this time."

"Alright, I'll be there in a minute. Let me just finish putting the kettle on," she answered as she wiped down the last plate on the table before looking over at Remus curiously, "Has Wormy showed up yet? It's getting late, I'm a little worried."

"Not yet, but he should be here soon," Remus put a comforting hand on her shoulder before walking towards the door that led to the living room, "He said he's with his family, Els. Don't worry, he'll be here."

She nodded her head gently as she watched Remus walk out of the room. But just as she was finished cleaning up, a tired-looking Peter strolled into the kitchen.

"Hey, Els," he spoke with a voice that sounded almost fragile and weak, shyly walking over to her, "Sorry I'm late. Mum held me up."

Elsie eyed him carefully, studying how the underneath of his eyes were sunken in and how his body looked as if it were going to cave in on itself. She quickly walked over and placed a warm cup of tea in front of him, "Alright, Wormy? You don't look so good. Have you been eating and sleeping properly?"

As he thanked her and brought the cup up to his lips, Elsie watched as a flurry of emotions hurried across his face. The cup froze in his hands just before his mouth and his eyes widened when they met her caring gaze. There was a slight tremble to his lips as he just looked at her and placed the cup back onto the table.

Fear flashed through his eyes and suddenly she watched as the boy in front of her slipped into his own thoughts. Peter had always been a little more scared, a little more nervous, a little more anxious about everything than the rest of their friends. But right now was different. There was pure terror on his face and his eyes were frozen on hers, as if he had been petrified in the moment.

"Petey?" She stepped a bit closer and reached out to put a hand on his back out of concern, "What's going on?"

For a moment, his lips parted dramatically and it looked like he was about to spill his deepest secrets to her. But just as he was about to speak, a genuine laugh rung out in the air from the room next door to them. Peter tensed slightly before relaxing his shoulders and convincingly speaking, "Just the war is getting to me a bit. I'm tired and scared of what's going to happen. That's all."