Chapter 40

Elsie watched in fear as the large stag galloped in front of her just as the angry werewolf reached where she was standing. His claw ripped through the stag's chest, slightly scratching right above the kneazles left eye while doing so, and threw him the entire length of the room. The frightened kneazle saw as the rising and falling of the stag's chest nearly diminished and a deep gash was bleeding out just to the right of the area below his neck.

The black dog, who had finally regained his strength, locked eyes with the kneazle while barking and nodded his head towards the tunnel that led out of the shack. The rat and the dog began running circles around the werewolf in order to distract him, as Elsie began understanding what Sirius was trying to tell her. Elsie quickly changed out of her animagus form while Moony was distracted and ran over to the hurt stag. Using all her strength, she dragged the large stag out of the shack and into the Forbidden Forest.

A disheveled and bruised up Elsie stared over the hurting animal with both fear and admiration coursing through her veins. He has to be okay. He needs to be okay. Bloody idiot taking the hit for me...

Elsie shakily pulled out her wand from the waistline of her pants and pointed it at her best friend, trying to hold back the tears rimming her eyes. She casted the animagus reversal spell and watched as the bleeding stag turned into a passed out James Potter. Elsie's breath got caught in her throat as she looked down at the barely breathing boy before her.  His white shirt was now stained red from the gash trailing down his right shoulder and his entire body was lined with cuts and bruises. No,no,no,no....he can't be hurt...

She dropped to her knees besides the boy and urgently shook his face, trying to get him to wake up. When she got no response, she anxiously moved on to the next best thing. With her wand in hand, she casted the bandaging charm, watching as the opened gashes on his body were covering themselves with bandages to stop him from bleeding out. Her tears were now trickling down her cheeks as she raised her wand once again with trembling hands, desperately trying to remember the spell for waking up a person who has blacked out.

"Come on, Elsie," she mumbled under her breath through the tears, "Fucking think."

Her mind raked through the memories of her DADA classes until it landed on the spell she needed. She pointed the wand at James and shouted, "Rennervate."

She hopefully looked up at the bleeding boy's face, but was met with no reaction to the spell whatsoever. The tears that were once slowly trickling down her cheeks were now free-falling down her face. Please James, please wake up...

"FUCK," she screamed in frustration as she whispered the revival spell once again, "Rennervate!"

James' eyes were still glued shut and his breathing, if possible, slowed down even more. Elsie's head hopelessly collapsed onto his barely heaving chest, soaking his blood-stained shirt with tears.

"James, please..." She sobbed into his chest, not wanting to think about the possibility of losing her best friend, "Please, you have to wake up. I-I can't live without you, James. You're my best friend and I-I love you."

Her words were now incomprehensible as she clutched his shirt into her fist, continuing to cry out on top of the boy in a moment of weakness, "Please, James. Fuck, please."

James' eyes slowly fluttered open as a huge rush of pain surged through his body, but the only thing he cared about was the fact that Elsie was laying her head on top of him sobbing into his shirt. Her face and hands were covered in his blood that had seeped through his shirt, as a semi-deep cut intersected her left eyebrow. His thoughts from before he blacked out flashed through his head while he began getting extremely concerned about the state his best friend was in.