Chapter 33

After Elsie and Remus pulled out of their kiss, Remus wrapped his arms around the small girl and held her close to him. The two ignored the curious stares from their friends and just stayed in each other's arms. It wasn't a romantic gesture, it wasn't a kiss out of attraction...it was purely platonic love. Remus loved Elsie more than the world, and would kiss away all of her pain if it meant he'd see her smile again. And, Elsie knew that. She loved him the same exact way. They were platonic soulmates, and always would be.

James watched them with saddening eyes. Of course he was happy that Lily kissed him, but part of him wanted nothing more than to be Remus right now. He knew Elsie, and he saw the look in her eyes. She was hurting and he wanted to be there for her even if he had no idea what had happened. But, Remus was doing a pretty good job at that now. James saw Remus guiding Elsie up to her room, watching as his best friend slowly slipped away from him. His heart sunk deep into his stomach.

Remus took Elsie's hand and led her up to her bedroom and away from all of the commotion. He gently walked her over to her bed and sat down on top of it with her.

"You okay?" He softly asked her while tucking her under his arm.

"No," she chuckled out sadly while looking up to him, "But, I have to be."

"That's not true," Remus quietly let out while running a hand down her hair.

Elsie sadly sighed, "Yes it is, Remmy. He's my best friend. I can't always be upset just because he loves someone else."

Remus nodded his head understandingly while locking eyes with the girl tucked into him, "You know I'll always be here for you, right?"

I love you, Remmy," she smiled genuinely at the scar-faced boy, "Forever."

"I'll always love you, Els," he whispered down to her as the two remained cuddled up and talking for the next few hours.

As the night passed on and everyone else went home, James was left alone in Elsie's living room waiting for her two friends to come down. At around 3am, Remus had finally walked down the stairs to find an anxious James Potter pacing the living room.

"How is she? Is she okay? Is she sleeping? What-," James' rambling was cut off by Remus' voice.

"James," he strongly said while walking up to his spectacled friend, "She's fine."

James looked down in shame, knowing that it should've been him up there with her. He didn't know why she was upset, but he was her best friend. He wanted more than anything to be with her right now.

Remus placed a hand on James' shoulder and pointed at him, "You need to get your shit together."

James looked up at his friend in both confusion and shock, "What?"

"It's Lily or Elsie, James. It's not a little bit of both of them, you pick one. I get that you have feelings for both of them and I get that you're confused right now," Remus spoke sternly while making direct eye contact with the boy in front of him, before continuing to lecture him, "But, that doesn't mean you get to have both. They have feelings, too. You can't be with Elsie on one day and then Lily the next. I know you don't mean for it to be like that, but it comes across like it. So pick one, James...before you break her heart even fucking more."

With that being said, Remus flooed out of Elsie's house, leaving a shocked James alone once again. James had no idea what to think about what Remus had said, except for two little words. He's right.