Chapter 62

The days leading up to the Quidditch final were absolute chaos for the Hogwarts students. Gryffindors and Slytherin would find themselves glaring at each other in the hallway, Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws getting caught in the crossfire. It was even more hostile than usual, the only thing anyone was talking about was the game that would take place on Saturday at exactly 12 p.m. Everyone was ecstatic, excitedly waiting for the last game of the season to come around.

But as soon as Saturday's article of the Daily Prophet came out that morning, absolutely nobody questioned why the game was suddenly forfeited by the Gryffindor captain. Instead, their respect for James Potter skyrocketed.

Elsie had been in a particularly good mood that morning, waking up surprisingly late and getting a decent amount of sleep. Life was good for once. Even if there was a war brewing around them, the past few weeks with James had caused everything about the dark wizards to slip out of her mind. And for the time being, she had no complaints. So, she woke up with a smile on her face.

She got dressed, and since everyone else was already at breakfast, Elsie happily skipped her way down to the Great Hall. However, as she neared the doors that led to the hall a eerie feeling shivered down her spine. And for a split second, she thought something bad had happened at how unwelcoming the feeling felt. Not wanting to ruin her good mood, she shook her head and pushed the feeling aside.

Elsie walked through the doors and into the Great Hall, immediately noticing that something was off. The loud talking and laughter that usually filled the room was replaced by hushed murmurs and serious expressions. She looked around the room in confusion, her eyes curiously glancing over to the Hufflepuffs, who were the most silent and all had frowns plastered on their faces. She locked with two Hufflepuff girls who had tears streaking down their faces and hands interlocked tightly, as if they were comforting each other. House drama probably...

With a little less pep in her step, she made her way to her usual spot next to James at the Gryffindor table.

"Morning, everyone," she innocently chirped, kissing James on the cheek while sitting down next to him, "Excited for the big game?"

James grabbed her hand under the table and shot her a small smile, as everyone else sent her the same gesture. Everyone except Marlene.

"I'm guessing you didn't hear?" The blonde girl asked her from across the table, an unreadable expression sulking on her face.

"Hear what?" Elsie curiously asked, before pointing over her shoulder with her hand to the table behind them, "Does this have something to do with why the Hufflepuffs are acting so strange today?"

Marlene carefully slid her over the copy of today's Daily Prophet that she was reading, urging her to read it while quietly speaking, "Take a look."

Elsie picked up the magazine and let her eyes trail down the page until they hit something that made her hands unknowingly grip the paper tighter. Her heart stopped beating for a second and her breath got stuck in her throat as anxiety thrusted through her body, emotionally paralyzing her. Only one thing was running through her mind as her eyes locked onto the familiar picture of a beautiful, blonde girl and her family.

Rory.

She forced herself to read the article, even though she could already guess what had happened.

Muggle Hogwarts student Elizabeth Water, and her two parents, killed yesterday night in an attack marked by Death Eaters. Aurors found the three bodies laying lifeless in their homes after the so-called 'Dark Mark' was stationed over their house just outside of London.
"They were lovely, all of them," Adalyn Walcott, witch and long time neighbor of the Water family, "Such a shame when I found out the news. My heart completely broke for them, especially knowing that Lizzy was going to be a mum...Oh, that poor girl...Oh, and her poor baby-." Note: Mrs. Walcott's statement was cut short by her breaking down into tears.
Miss Elizabeth Water was reportedly home for the weekend for a check-in at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies. After confirming it with the Hospital, we found out that Elizabeth was baring a child, also killed in the attack. The father is unknown to the public...