Christmas

"El!" Claire says, waving aggressively at me as my dad pulls into the driveway. I get out of the car and give her a hug. We acted like we hadn't just seen each other a few weeks ago, but it's okay. It was nice having a dependable friend like her, unlike all of the other girls I had befriended in college. They had all stopped talking to me once Clif and I broke up, seeing as 'they were his friends first'. Claire and I had never exactly stopped being friends. We had just grown apart with her being across the country, both living out our own college experiences. I was just happy that we had found our way back to each other. 

After pulling away from the hug, we hastily make plans to hang out after I get settle, agreeing to walk to the closest boba shop and catch up. I walk inside and am instantly greeting by Mack who was going on and on about my newest shoots, asking what it was like working with the different artists that I had. I hugged my mom and Pau Pau. They both told me that they were really proud of what Mack had been showing them and that my photos were beautiful. The whole car ride from the airport was my dad talking up a storm about my shots and what I had planned. He was so excited for me and part of me felt really relieved that he had me to live through. Both of my parents had worked hard and chosen practical jobs so that Mack and I could do something that we were passionate about. Even though they were a little skeptical about my choice, they had definitely come around to the idea once I started getting bookings. 

I sat all of them down and told them that I had quit my job at Moore to spend all my time on photography. I was trying to avoid another Kenneth situation where they felt blindsided because I had waited to tell them. They hugged me and told me that they were really excited to see where things went. I settle all my stuff in my room, happy with how this trip started. I take out my phone and text Claire. 

To Claire: Hey, ready to go?

From Claire: Meet you outside!

I was so excited to spend some one-on-one time with her. Yeah, we FaceTimed, but I felt like I hadn't been able to hang out with her and really catch up because Harry was with us last time, so it was also them trying to get to know each other. 

"Hey!" I greet her, waving as she walked out the front door. She walks over to me and we go to a new boba shop a few blocks away. That's something I really miss about San Francisco. Everything is in walking distance, whereas in LA everything is so spread out, it's just constant driving. 

"So, how's Harry?" she asks, our steps to the same beat even though her legs are a bit shorter than mine. 

"He's good, I'm flying out to visit him for New Years," I say. Claire looks at me excitedly.

"Wait like back to LA or flying to London?" she asks.

"London," I say with a small smile. "And I'm so nervous because I'm meeting his Mom and sister." My anxiety growing as I say that out loud. It just puts things into perspective.

"Well I know they're gonna love you because how could they not?" she says, practically bouncing in excitement for me. 

"I don't know, I just want to make a good impression. Also, I've never been to the UK," I say.

"You haven't?" she asks. "I thought you'd been everywhere." I used to go on family vacations every summer with my whole dad's side, but we've stopped doing them because my grandparents were getting to be too old to travel. I shake my head.

"I've been to Europe before, but not the UK," I shrug.

"Well it's kind of like here, just with British people," she says and we laugh. 

"I didn't even know what to pack so I just kind of grabbed a mix of things," I say.

"As long as you have more wintery wear, I'm sure you'll be fine," she says. I nod, knowing that that's pretty much all I packed. 

"I guess we'll just have to see how everything pans out," I say shrugging.

"I'm expecting updates," she says. I laugh.

"Oh don't worry, you'll be the first and only person I talk to probably," I say through giggles.

"That's what I like to hear," she laughs along with me. We stop at the shop and look at the menu.

"What are thinking of getting?" I ask her. 

"Mmm. Jasmine milk tea is normally my go to," she says. I nod, scanning a little bit further down the menu.

"I think I'm gonna go for the oolong," I say and she nods. "Mack and my mom told me to get them something too, but I honestly don't know what they want." I keep looking at the menu. Eventually, I decide to get my mom a grapefruit green tea and Mack the same as me. We order and stand outside, waiting for our drinks.

"So how many classes are you taking this semester?" I ask her.

"Five," she says. "I'm honestly really nervous because I haven't taken that in a really long time, but I really just want to be done." I nod. It's definitely understandable. "It's just different now, all my friends are gone, so I'm actually focused on my work for once," she says and we both laugh together. 

"Yeah true, but it's good that you're getting out soon. It's like the light at the end of the tunnel," I say. She nods. Our order numbers get called and we walk to pick them up, me grabbing my drink from the bag and punching a hole in the top with my straw. Claire does the same and we begin to walk back to my house. 

"So what's it like in the real world?" Claire asks. I look at her with a curious expression. "You know," she says. "Like actually having t pay bills and do work. All I've known is college and internships. I haven't done the whole adulting for realzies yet." I laugh at her diction choice and think for a second.

"I don't know, I mean I've just been kind of figuring it out as I go. It's not too different, you just have more things to keep track of," I say with a shrug. "I think the best part is you're spending time doing things that you're interested in whereas at school you still have to do things that aren't always related to things you like." She nods.

"I don't know, I'm both relieved and scared. I want to be out in the real world, but it also just scares me a lot too," she says and I nod, understandingly. "It's just really hard to stay confident when there's so many unknowns." 

"I know it can be scary, but always know that you have options. Don't feel cornered in one job if it's not what you want for yourself. Even if your job isn't what you want at the time, just keep searching until you find it. There are gonna be a lot of ups and downs , but as long as you're happy, that's all that matters," I say. I see Claire stand up a little straighter and I feel good that my words gave her some confidence. "I'm really excited to have you in LA with me," I tell her quietly.

"I am too," she says. "You know it's so funny that we just stopped talking for a bit in college and we can just spring back together like no time passed." I laugh and nod as our feet hit the pavement, stepping in time with one another. It feels so good to have my best friend again.

Christmas was really nice, busy and full of family and friend parties, questions about what I was up to and new projects that I was working on. Harry and I would FaceTime every so often to check in and I missed him a lot. I'm glad I wasn't dependent on him like I was on Clif. I still felt okay when I was on my own, but I see him everyday back in LA. I just miss seeing him and being able to give him hugs, but soon enough I'll be in London with Harry and his family. It would be a new step in our relationship. One that terrified me, but also flooded me with excitement too. 

-----

okay i know i'm skimming over christmas, but it's  just not that important rn lol sorryyyy. talk soon!

all the love, 

lyss x