Barbecues and Babies

I woke up to the smell of bread toasting. My eye's flutter open and I'm laying on the couch with a blanket wrapped around me. I look over and see Harry cooking in the kitchen, an apron was tied around his waist as he bustles around the kitchen, making a grilled cheese. I watch him for a few seconds, his face was blissful, but also concentrating. As quietly as possible I take out my phone and snap a photo of him as he works. The afternoon light was soft, and his hair was pushed back and slightly tousled, his green eyes focused on the tomato he was chopping. The photograph was so clear, the support beams and counter framing him. "Whatcha making?" My voice rasps slightly and I clear my throat. Harry looks up a little startled before smiling. 

"Mornin El. I'm making a grilled cheese with tomatoes. I hope you don't mind, but I didn't want to wake you because I knew you were tired."

"It smells great in here Harry." I say standing up and stretching, my hoodie riding up a little to show the bottom of my black pajama shorts. I catch Harry's eyes lingering on me for a second before he looks back down to the cutting board, folding the blanket I drape it back over the couch and check the time. It's 12:30. "I told Jenna I'd bring dessert if you're okay with baking after lunch." Harry nods, cutting the grilled cheese in half and putting it on a plate for me. 

"I used to work in a bakery so I can definitely put those skills to work." His voice dripped with cockiness. 

"Okay mister big shot baker. Maybe we should have a bake off." I roll my eyes at him playfully and grab my plate from him. "Also thank you for the sandwich and letting me sleep." I tip toe slightly to kiss him on the cheek and his hand grabs my waist, pulling my body towards his. Before I know it, his mouth is on mine for the first time since he's been over. We stay there for a little while, mouths moving in sync, the plate with grilled cheese still in my hand. He pulls away and grins at me. 

"Anytime baby." He says taking a bite of his grilled cheese. "And I will happily take that challenge Cho." He boops my nose and goes to sit at the table. I stand still breathless. 'Baby' his voice bounces around my head. He just called me 'baby'. I shake my head, trying not to think anything of it.

"Do you want any water?" I ask him. 

"I've got some thanks though love." I nod and get myself a glass before heading to sit with him at the dining table. "So what were you planning for our bake off?" I raise my eyebrows at him. 

"Hm, should I even tell you since you're my competitor?" Harry asks.

"Well I don't know, I just wanted to make sure we didn't make the same thing. Also, just make sure whatever you make is vegan." Harry nods.

"I haven't really thought about what to make yet. What are you making?"

"Cupcakes." I say shrugging. Little did he know that Lanie and Cam couldn't resist my red velvet cupcakes. It was the thing they always asked me to make for them for special occasions. Harry nods thoughtfully. 

"I think I'll go for something fun and interesting. Maybe a creme brûlée of sorts." I raise my eyebrow at him. "Only joking, I don't know how to make that and especially not vegan." I laugh, taking another bite of grilled cheese. "I will have to do some research on recipes, but probably some kind of cookie." I nod. 

*****

After about 30 minuets of googling, Harry settled on making macaroons, and went to the store to buy ingredients and bake at his house. We both agreed that my small kitchen was not enough space for us to both be baking up a storm. I pull up the recipe for cupcakes before getting to work. Harry told me that he'd pick me up at 5:30 and we could go to Jenna's together. It was 1:30 now, but I knew that I needed to put my all into these cupcakes because I wanted to make sure I beat Harry. I had perfected my recipe for the cupcakes, but I needed the presentation to be beautiful as well. Slipping on sweats instead of my pajama shorts, I grab my shoes and keys and make a last minute grocery visit to buy some ingredients for the cupcakes.