Saturday Mornings

I wake up to my phone buzzing loudly on my night stand. My body feels tired as I turn to look at  my phone. The bright screen blinds me for a bit and I squint, trying to read the screen.

Call from MackZ

Mack is calling me at 4 AM on a Saturday? This has literally never happened. Something must be wrong if she's calling this late. I quickly swipe to answer, "Mack?" My voice is a bit cracky and I clear my throat, all thoughts of sleep leave my mind. 

"El?" Mack's voice shook as she spoke, "Pau Pau is in the hospital." My brain stops working. I sit there, my mouth drying. Our Grandmother is 87 and she's the sweetest woman alive. Our Grandfather had passed away last year and she'd been living with my parents because they didn't want her to be alone in their old house. 

"Is-is she okay?" I ask trying to keep my breathing in check. I hadn't been home for a while, and I needed to see her before I couldn't anymore. 

"I think she'll be okay." Mack spoke softly, sniffling. "I think she fell on her way to the bathroom today, and broke her hip. I don't know how bad the break is but she was in so much pain." I breathe out, relieved that it wasn't a fatal hospital visit. 

"She's gonna be okay Mack," I say trying my best to comfort her over the phone. Sometimes it was so hard to be away. I know how much Mack needed a hug and I couldn't give it to her. 

"I know but I heard her pain." Mack sniffled again. "I was up late studying and heard a crash from the hallway. When I ran out to see what happened she was laying on the floor crying. I- I just haven't seen her like that ever." Pau Pau was my mom's mother. She was a composed lady and grew up in China town. I'd only ever seen her cry at our Grandfather's funeral. She was a really strong lady, so seeing her break was difficult to process. 

"It's gonna be okay Mack, I promise. She's strong. I know it can be unsettling to see her like that, but she's spunky, you know that." 

"I know, but I just wish you were here. I can't go to sleep now, I just feel too tense." 

"I miss you kiddo. I'm coming home for Christmas, so just hang in there! Two more months." I sigh, letting out some of the pressure building in my chest. "I'll stay up with you don't worry." 

I switch the call to FaceTime and sit up in bed, twisting my hair into a low bun. The rest of the night was spent talking with Mack about Harry, and everything that was going on in my mind. I did however leave out the part where we kissed because I knew she'd scream at me for not calling her and telling her right after it happened. "I dunno E, I think that you have a point. It's pretty soon after his breakup, just be aware of that fact. Keep your guard up a little just in case." I nod frowning a bit.

"It's just difficult. On one hand, I feel like Harry and I have a really good connection. It's so easy to talk to him and it just feels nice to have a connection like that again. But then yesterday I find out about Camille and now I'm just questioning everything. I know I tend to overthink, but I feel like it's really possible that he's just using me." Mack nods. 

"Jenna's point is also valid though. He would've made a move if he was just using you to get over Camille." A bite my lip and look at my hands.

"Well maybe he did make a move." 

"WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK." Mack screams so loudly I have to turn down the volume on my phone so that it didn't wake up my neighbors. 

"I know I know, you're mad that I didn't call you, but right after he kissed me-" Mack cuts me off.

"HE KISSED YOU?" Her shriek was shrill. I nod and lower my head a bit ashamed that I didn't call her and tell her. She raised her brow looking like an expectant mother.