8 Intruder

My birthplace, yet it feels so foreign now.

Their carriages approach the entrance, where their identities are checked by the guards standing there to serve the monarchy that is no longer standing. Jongho presents his identity first and he gets an easy pass. When it gets to Yunho, the guards stand straighter, springing into salute before bowing.

So even after years, I still have that respect given to me?

He nods, before he signals to the carriage behind them, where Akira and Seonghwa are, saying that the vehicle carries the two most important people for the kingdom. Although the two guards look confused at this revelation, they still stand straighter, anticipating the incoming carriage.

The guards' expression changes as they notice who is inside the carriage, scurrying to the door even, to give their respects. They bow towards Akira first, and although they look hesitant to show their respects towards Seonghwa, they do so after she gives them a glance, eyebrow slightly raised. They require no identity checking as the carriage passes the entrance, the guards not letting down their hands saluting until the carriage is out of sight.

Seonghwa puts a hand over his chest, letting out a heavy breath as he turns back to face forward. "That feels so foreign, to have people having so much of their attention on you."

Akira gives him a look before saying, "Really? You completely have no idea how it feels like to have people give so much attention to you? Pretty sure people were crowding around you when we passed through town, because according to Mingi you're-" she stops before sighing, "never mind."

She wonders whether even after two years of leaving Lucida behind, people would still recognize her and Yunho, that their fear towards the two is still apparent. She doesn't know whether the curious eyes that follow them are because the carriage is from Nyla, or it's because they know who are inside the vehicles. She can't tell what she feels about the attention on them, and she can't even tell whether they're positive or negative feelings. All she knows is that she needs to get to the Lucida palace as quickly as she can, avoiding people at all costs while she tries to figure out how on earth she's going to rule an entire kingdom.

What a great start.

Staying away from Lucida for almost two years brings a new perspective to her, making her realize that no matter how the kingdom seemed to have treated her badly, this is where she was born, where she was supposed to be.

Seonghwa's inquisitive eyes jump from one place to another, his fingers perched on top of the windowsill as his head pokes out a little through the open window. Sighs of what sound like amazement spills from his lips every now and then, his eyes following different things every now and then. Sometimes he follows the cat which just stole a piece of bread from the stall, sometimes he smiles as he sees children playing hide and seek as one of them tries to find the others.

"It's not your first time coming here," Akira states before backtracking. "But then again we used an unconventional route when we went on to rescue Yunho."

"It's beautiful," he breathes, his eyes sparkling as he turns to look at her. "There's just this... unfiltered beauty about your kingdom."

Something about the way Seonghwa says 'your kingdom' makes her heart feel some type of way; either a good or bad thing she doesn't know. Maybe it's the fact that she knows it will take some time for Seonghwa to adjust to the life here, being far away from his own home in a kingdom he used to loath. Then she pauses as she takes a look at him.

Unless he still...

"Seong-" she wants to say, but gets cut off when the coachman announces that they've already arrived at the palace.