27 Emotions

Mingi watches from afar as the troop returns from Lucida, passing by him as the differences of the number of soldiers going out and going in become apparent. Their cursed king is brought into the kingdom lying down on a stretcher guarded by those outside the carriage, seemingly unconscious. He quietly trails them from town, crosses the bridge as the solemn footsteps of those who survived the ambush echo through the forest and arrive at the palace. He alights his horse, watching as they bring him out, the king's face looking anything but peaceful.

He obediently follows as they escort him inside, too lost for words when he meets the others who are already waiting for their return at the palace. The four of the young masters watch as they bring the king to the sick bay, asking for assistance from Yeosang to attend to him.

Yeosang looks uncertain on whether he could be of any help since it's not like he knows what's going on with San's body, but as he looks at the others who only nod slowly to ask him to go, he obeys. Despite being scared of all the circumstances to see San coming back to the palace in that condition, they try to be positive in believing that there is a way out- they just haven't found it yet. The four of them walk all the way to the sick bay, trailing the soldiers who don't seem like they want to leave the king's side.

Either they're too loyal or San has succeeded in brainwashing them to blind loyalty.

As soon as they lay down the king on the bed, the soldiers line up to the side before they seem to snap out of their reverie, looking slightly confused as to why the king is unconscious in front of them.

Hongjoong looks at Mr. Lowe, who seems to be the most quick to snap back to his senses as he directs his soldiers to rest. The former approaches him, grabbing his arm before he utters through gritted teeth, "What did you do? What did all of you to Lucida?"

"It was..." Mr. Lowe trails off as he shakes his head slowly. "It was like our minds were controlled; we were aware but our bodies only followed His Majesty's instructions. I know," he buries his head in his hands, "I know what we did was wrong... but we couldn't do anything except to obey."

Hongjoong lets go of his arm begrudgingly. "Then how is it over there? The king and the queen, everyone there?"

"Just like our soldiers... they have a lot of casualties too. In the end..." Mr. Lowe shakes his head. "We gained nothing but losses on both sides."

"Then why did you-" Hongjoong spits but as he's about to pick a fight, Wooyoung shoves him away, grabbing his shoulders to knock some sense into him.

"You heard Mr. Lowe, he said they had no choice. You know how San is like now, his capability is more than we can imagine." He turns to Mr. Lowe, "You may leave, we'll deal with the king."

Mr. Lowe bows to the young masters before leaving the room albeit looking guilty, exhausted and devastated all in one. His emotions reflect those left in the room, especially Yeosang who immediately approaches San.

San's face is contorted in pain, half of his skin already marred, his physical appearance getting worse than before. They notice that the area of his skin covered with the black veins is increasing, and if they don't hurry there might be a possibility that his whole body might be affected until they can't see his skin anymore. Even his hair has all turned white.

Yeosang notices a mixture of colours of blood on the king's clothes, all dried- some yellow, crimson and even black. As he looks at the blood, the palace doctor could only hang his head low as he mutters, "If San goes there while he was under the curse's influence, who are the people he would be looking for? There must be a reason why he went to Lucida first."

"Someone he knows," Mingi utters. "Yunho... Jongho... Seonghwa..." he pauses as he can't bear to look at the black blood. "Akira."

"Am I stupid for hoping that they're alright over there?" Wooyoung utters in defeat as he leans against the wall, slides down before he puts his head in his hands. "That San didn't do anything to any of them?"