4

Six years later

"I don't want to go," Hadley huffed as she walked beside Clay on their way back to the castle from school.

"Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do, Hadley. Simply because you have to do them."

"Please, Clay," she begged. "Don't make me go." She looked up at him with big, blue, puppy dog eyes. Clay smiled at her, reviving a sense of hope in her heart, only to completely crush that hope when he shook his head. "No. You're going, Hadley."

Her yearly physical with the doctor has come. It was Hadley's least favorite day of the year and had been ever since she was a small child.

While Clay couldn't exactly feel her emotions through their mate bond yet, he knew Hadley better than she knew herself. He could very easily pick up on her attitudes and mood shifts. He knew she was nervous about the appointment, as she was every year.

"I know you're nervous, but Dr. Evelyn has always been nice to you. She's never given you any reason to be afraid of her."

"I know, but I don't like getting shots."

Clay reached down and picked Hadley up, wrapping her up in his arms, causing her to laugh. "You're brave, baby. You've gotten shots before and you handled them like a soldier. It will just be a little sting and then it will all be over. Besides, I'll be there with you, like I always am." He placed a kiss on her forehead and set her back down.

"Good afternoon, your highness," Evelyn greeted. She was a human doctor who was born in the kingdom during the time of complete vampire control under Ulric. She was only a year or so older than Clay, and was also married to a human who lived in the kingdom as well.

"Hello. How are you doing today?" He replied when she walked into the room. Hadley sat on the exam table fidgeting nervously.

"I'm well, thank you. How are doing today, Hadley?"

"I'm okay. How are you?" She asked politely.

"I'm doing wonderful. Today's going to be an easy day, Hadley. I'm just going to listen to your heart and check your reflexes, and do a couple of other things, and you'll be right on your way home."

"Okay," Hadley said, sucking in a deep breath. She knew that "a couple of other things" meant the shots.

After she completed the physical exam, Dr. Evelyn said goodbye and wished Hadley good luck with the rest of her seventh-grade year in school. Shortly after, a nurse carrying a tray with needles on it came into the room.

"Hi, Hadley, my name is Zoey and I'm your nurse for today. We just have to give you a few shots today alright, but it won't be too bad. Just a few little pinches. I know you'll be able to handle it though."

Hadley smiled at the nurse, but she was actually a nervous mess inside. The nurse wiped her arm down with an alcohol pad, the harsh smell infiltrating Hadley's nose.

Not wanting to seem like a little baby in front of Clay, she remained silent as the nurse got the syringes ready and brought each of them up one at a time to her arm. Though, as the nurse gave her the shots, she stared at Clay the whole time. He stared back, letting her know that anytime she needed him, he would always be right there.

"Alright, there you go! All done!" The nurse said as she placed bandages over her skin.

"See baby, I told you you could do it," Clay said while facing the wall after the nurse left so Hadley could change out of the gown and into her clothes.

"Yeah, it wasn't that bad," she answered.

After she put her clothes on, they left the doctor's office and walked down to the dining room for dinner. Clay loaded a plate up with food for himself while Hadley did the same thing and then they walked upstairs to their home.