34

Hadley watched as the knot Paisley had tied around the balcony came undone. She held her breath as she waited for the thump of Paisley's body to meet the ground, but it never came.

Instead, she heard a wail and Paisley crying "no."

Hadley pushed up against the balcony railing and peered over it to where Paisley's deceased body should've laid. Instead, she saw a castle guard holding Paisley's body in his arms.

"Princess?" The guard called from below.

"Yes? Is she alright?"

"She's fine, but fighting against me. I think I should take her to the hospital." The guard struggled to pull the rope off from around her neck.

"I'll follow you there!" Hadley called, concerned for the mental and emotional well-being of Paisley. No mentally stable person threw themselves from a balcony.

She met the guard and Paisley at the top of the stairs and they rushed toward the infirmary. Paisley was immediately taken back to an exam room.

She explained what had happened to Dr. Lucius and told her what Paisley had said before she jumped as well.

He told her they would do a full body exam to check for any physical injuries she may have sustained, as well as do a psychological evaluation to determine her mental state.

After Dr. Lucius disappeared down the hallway, she turned to look at the guard.

"What is your name?"

"Jack, Princess."

"Thank you, Jack." She extended her hand out for him to shake and he did so. "You saved her life with your rapid response. Thank you."

He shook his head, but Hadley saw the flush of his cheeks. "I was just doing my job, Princess."

"No, not just a job. You saved her life, something I failed at. I'll speak to Clayton about rewarding you somehow. You can go back to your duties now, Jack. Thank you again."

"Of course, Princess. Thank you." He bowed to her and then took his leave. She cringed internally. She hated when people bowed to her, it made her feel like a pretentious asshole.

When her phone started to ring, she took a seat and answered it. It was Clay.

"Are you alright, love? It felt like something was distressing you."

"I'm okay. I was out on the balcony overlooking the garden and Paisley was there too. She tied a rope around her neck and threw herself off the railing, but she's okay. The knot she tied loosened when she jumped, and a guard caught her."

"Where are you now?" He asked.

"At the infirmary. They're giving her a psych evaluation. I don't think she's mentally stable, Clay."

"No," he agreed. "I don't think she is either. I'll be there in a few minutes to wait with you."

"Okay, I love you," she said.

"I love you, too."

Shortly after she ended the call with Clay, she saw Paisley's father entering the waiting room. They glanced at each other, but neither of them said a word. Hadley felt uncomfortable being there with him. He most likely blamed her for the death of his wife as well, and now for his daughter's suicide attempt.

She was relieved when Clay arrived, true to his word about being there in a few minutes. He sat down in the chair next to her and grabbed her hand. "Are you alright?"

She nodded and leaned her head against his shoulder. "I'm alright. Just worried, concerned. What if she tries to do something like this again?"

Clay rubbed his hand along her arm in an attempt to soothe her. "We can hope she gets the help she needs and doesn't try again."