30

She watched frozen as the wooden stake pierced Hazel's back, lodging into her skin. Hazel's face was one of shock as she realized what happened. She glanced over at Hadley, her eyes scared and defeated, before they rolled to the back of her head and she went limp.

Hadley's stomach was sick as she stared at her friend's body. The stake had penetrated her back, but the depth of it had without a doubt pierced her heart. Blood stained the cloth of her t-shirt. Her chest didn't move with the rhythm of functioning lungs.

A strange sound came from the depths of Hadley's chest, a mixture of pain, sorrow, and rage.

Oblivious with fury, she propelled herself forward to a standing position and slammed her full weight into Della. Her biological mother fell to the floor as she hadn't expected Hadley to retaliate.

In the struggle with her father, the knot in the rope binding her hands had come loose, and she pulled it from around her wrists. She reached down to rip the crossbow from Della, but she fought against her pull.

"Let go," Hadley demanded, pulling against the bow. She reared her foot back and slammed it into the soft spot of Della's abdomen. She groaned and released her hold on the bow in a moment of pain.

Her small victory was quickly overtaken, however, when her biological father had mustered enough strength to stand and kick Hadley's leg out from underneath her, sending her falling to the floor and effectively knocking the air from her lungs.

Pain splintered through her right foot at her landing. She knew by the angle of her leg that her foot was twisted underneath her, most likely broken.

Her father approached her, and she was undone with defeat. Her foot was twisted, her head felt as though it was cracked, and her soul was pained.

She tried to scoot backward away from the approaching predator, but her body had no strength left after the fall. She thought of nothing but Clay at that moment, how her very essence called out to him. How she wished she would live to see him again.

The man reached out to grab her leg when he suddenly fell to the floor, a gasp of surprise released from his throat as he fell. As his body disappeared, her mate's filled the space he once occupied.

A whimper of relief escaped her when the strong, warm, protective embrace of her mate surrounded her, lifting her to his chest. "Clay," she whispered against his neck. She had never been so happy before to see him or to feel him.

He didn't speak, only looked over her body and sniffed her skin to examine her for any injuries. When he seemed pleased with his examination he met her eyes and cupped her cheek. "Hadley," he breathed, relief in his voice.

Tears pricked the corner of her eyes. She had been so strong and unwavering, intent on escaping. She didn't want to be strong then, when she was wrapped in Clay's arms. She wanted him to hold her, stroke her hair and kiss her neck, and be strong for her instead.

He held her gaze for a few seconds longer as though he was afraid to miss another moment of her, but then he placed her down on the floor. She looked up at him, reaching for him to take her into his arms again.

"Stay here for a moment, love."

He turned his back and stalked toward the unconscious body of her father. He grabbed him by the back of the neck and dragged his body down the hallway into the apartment she had just escaped from.

Della got up and bolted, but she wasn't too concerned. Clay would find her. She was more concerned with Hazel. She scooted toward her body with some of her energy rejuvenated since Clay was in her presence.