2

Clay sat down next to Hadley after Amaryllis left the room in search of chocolate milk.

"Do you like your new clothes?"

She nodded her head enthusiastically. "They're so comfy!"

"That's good, Hadley."

Ulric sunk to his knees in front of his son and Hadley. "Hi, Hadley. I'm Clayton's father," he said and extended his hand. Hadley reached her small hand out to touch his.

"Hi," she said back shyly.

"I have a little girl at home just a few years older than you. I think you'd like her."

A smile stretched across her face. "Do you think you'd want to meet her one day?"

"Yes," she giggled.

The door to Clay's home opened up and Amaryllis walked through holding a cup of chocolate milk. After Hadley finished her milk, Amaryllis sat down next to her as well.

"Are you tired?" Clay asked when he saw her eyelids beginning to flutter closed. It was 11 o'clock at night, so it made sense that a little kid was tired.

Hadley nodded her head and released a yawn. Clay stood up from the couch and picked her up. "Do you wanna go to bed?" She nodded her head again.

"I'm gonna go put her down. I'll be right back," he told his parents.

He walked into one of his guest bedrooms and flicked the light on. Then he laid Hadley down on the middle of the bed and set up a small fortress of pillows to keep her from falling out of the bed while she slept. "Do you want a nightlight?" He asked, knowing that most kids didn't like to sleep alone in the dark.

"No, I like night," she answered, fiddling with the blanket over her.

"Okay, I'm going to leave the door cracked and you can come to get me if you need me," he said. Hadley nodded her head.

Clay bent his head and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Goodnight Hadley."

"Goodnight."

He stood up from the side of the bed and flicked the light off, watching her face to make sure she was okay. Then he closed the door, leaving it cracked for her to indicate that she could come to get him if she needed him.

When he returned, both of his parents looked up at him. "I could call Damien and Luca in the morning if you want, Clay. You could go visit her any time you wish, and you know they'll take great care of her. But only if you want to. I don't think that finding her parents would be the best option right now."

"No," Clay said with a shake of his head. "It wouldn't be. I could barely even smell them on her when I found her. She must've been alone almost the entire day and they must not be around her much because their scent was so weak."

He crossed his thick arms and paced in front of the couch. "I don't think I can let her go. I know that I just found her, but I feel attached already. I don't want to be away from her or let someone else take care of her when that is the position a mate holds."

"If that's what you want, Clay. Your dad and I can't tell you what to do and I'm not even sure what to tell you to do," Amaryllis said.

Ulric was silent for a little while before speaking. "I want to warn you that this will be difficult, Clay. She will become attached to you very soon if not already and she won't know what it means. You'll need to be patient with her and be diligent yet careful in how you explain things. You'll also need to be able to discipline her when needed."

"When do you think I should tell her about the mateship? I know she'll be confused why she feels compelled to be near me all the time," Clay asked.

"Not until she's older. Probably 17 or 18," Amaryllis responded. "Telling her too young would confuse her and wouldn't benefit either of you. I know it will be difficult for you to deal with all of this alone, but she shouldn't know until she's of age."