25

Shortly before her college departure, Clay had purchased Hadley a car. He knew she would need one considering she would be three hours away without him. He also thought it would be fun for the girls since Hazel did not have a vehicle.

They unloaded Hadley's new car, moving all of the belongings she had brought with her into the dorm room she would share with Hazel.

Hazel had moved in a few hours previously but Clay and Hadley had waited to arrive so they could spend the most time with each other as possible.

"That's everything," Clay said as he dropped the last box onto her desk. Hazel and Hadley were already making the bed. A bed that Clay thought was much too small for anybody.

"Will you start hanging my clothes up?" She asked him, nodding to the bag that contained all of her shirts.

He picked the bag up and as slow as vampirically possibly, hung the shirts on the rack.

After the room had been set up and all of her stuff was put away, she turned to look at her mate. The sadness that had been pricking the back of her mind all afternoon had seeped to the front. She bit her lip as she looked at him, forcing away the tears she felt coming.

Hazel jumped up from her seat at her desk and walked toward the door. "I'll give you guys some time alone."

Clay closed the distance between them and wrapped his arms around her, hugging her small frame to his large one.

"I'm going to miss you so much, Hadley," he said. His voice was thick with emotion, something she'd never really heard before. Her lip started to wobble.

"I'm going to miss you too, Clay."

They hugged for a few moments longer before pulling away. "Are you going to be okay?"

He shook his head. "No. I'm leaving you here, three hours away from your family, from me. Surrounded by strangers. But I promised myself fifteen years ago that I wouldn't allow our bond to hinder your experiences. And I'm going to keep that promise."

Hadley chewed her lip, trying her hardest not to cry. She had cried enough the night before.

"I'm so appreciative for everything you've done for me, Clay. For all the sacrifices you've made, for everything."

He cupped her face in his hands and ran his thumbs across her cheeks. "Nothing I've done for you was a 'sacrifice.' You're the greatest gift I could've ever received."

His face turned serious. "If one of these boys ever does anything in the slightest to make you uncomfortable, you let me know immediately."

Nodding her head, she entwined their fingers. "I will." It was her turn for her face to morph into stone. "If any woman tries to flirt with you, you had better let me know."

"I will," he promised.

Hadley sighed and wrapped her arms around his neck one last time. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, baby."

"Okay. You need to leave now because if you don't, I'll start crying and if I start crying, I will be coming home with you."

He smiled at her words but it didn't reach his eyes.

"Please text me when you get back, just so I know."

It was adorable that she was concerned for his safety since he would be walking back to the castle since they'd driven Hadley's new car up to the college.

"I will. I love you, Hadley."

"I love you, Clay."

He kissed her cheek and then turned on his heel, walking out of the room. Her stomach was knotted as she watched the door latch shut. Clay was gone.