13

"I don't want to go back to school," Paisley groaned as they browsed the clothing aisles. The two of them were going clothes shopping for school since it was starting again in two weeks.

"Me either," Hadley sighed. "At least you have friends though." Hadley's only friends were Paisley and Clay, but Clay didn't really count. Ulric's friend Thierry and his mate had a kid that was in high school, but she was only going to be a freshman, whereas, Hadley was going to be a senior. So their ages and maturity levels didn't mesh.

"Yeah I know, but most of them graduated. Now I just have younger friends."

"They're still your friends though." Hadley picked up a shirt she liked. "That's cute." She held it up to her chest and decided to keep it to try on later.

"Don't act like you don't have any friends, Hadley. Everyone knows who you are."

"Yeah people know who I am, but that doesn't mean they like me. You are my only friend."

"That's not true. Abby was talking to you over the summer."

"Abby was trying to get me to write her paper for summer school."

"Damn," Paisley said. "Fine, but this will be your year to make friends."

"I've been going to high school for three years now. I'm almost positive that my ability to make friends has run dry."

"Well yeah, with that attitude you won't make any."

Hadley discreetly rolled her eyes at Paisley's words. She had tried to make friends when she was younger, but it just didn't work. Any vampires she tried to befriend only tolerated her in attempts to use her position in the royal family to somehow benefit themselves.

She just didn't get along well with other people. Well, not that she didn't get along with them. She was never rude or dismissive of anyone, but the relationships just never stuck. So, she went most of her teenage years having one singular friend. That one friend, Paisley, wasn't that great all of the time though.

For the past three years, Paisley frequently canceled plans they made in order to hang out with her other friends or to party. She would oftentimes not make time for Hadley. She would spend weekend after weekend with her other friends or having sex with random boys. When she got a steady boyfriend, it got even worse. Hadley saw her even less after that.

"I'm gonna go try these clothes on," Hadley said, walking toward the changing rooms.

"Okay. I'll still be looking."

Hadley tried on the five shirts she picked out. Then she tried on the four pairs of shorts and the one pair of jeans. She growled silently in frustration when the jeans and a pair of shorts didn't fit. Luckily, four of the shirts fit and she only had to put one back.

When she was walking out of the fitting room, Paisley was walking in. She caught sight of the shirt Hadley was putting back since it was too small. "Oh did that not fit?" She asked.

"No, it's too small," she answered.

"Can I try it on? It's really cute."

She handed Paisley the shirt and then walked toward the checkout lane. She rolled her eyes again. It's not Paisley's fault that Hadley was insecure about her body, but with the annoyance she had already been feeling toward Paisley's behavior, she couldn't help but feel annoyed knowing that shirt would look perfect on her thin body.

After both of them checked out, Hadley drove Paisley back to her house. Another reason for Hadley's frustration with Paisley was that the girl refused to get her driver's license. Instead, she chose to exploit Hadley's driver's license and her new current boyfriend, Lincoln's, license.