16

"I'm not sure Ulric. I've never heard of a curse placed on our family." Vulk- Ulric's father and Clay's grandfather said- as he read over Cecilia's note.

"Well it's not a curse placed on the family," Ulric said. "It's a curse placed on me and Clay and his firstborn son."

Vulk flipped the letter over before flipping it again and rereading it.

"Would your father know anything?" Clay asked.

"I doubt it. I can call him, but I'm sure he doesn't know if I don't."

"Alright. Well, we've been down here long enough for today," Ulric said. "Amaryllis has cooked all of us dinner at the house."

Vulk smiled and followed Ulric and Clay out of the archives. "I've always liked your mate, Ulric. She's very good for you."

"Thanks," Ulric said.

Clay smiled secretly as he watched his father and grandfather communicate. Ulric wasn't very close to his parents, so it was kind of amusing to watch them interact.

Clay was happy to see Hadley when they got to his parent's house. He had been down in the archives with Ulric for almost eight hours, scanning through books and journals and any other kind of records that might help them. They came up empty-handed.

"How are you, baby?" Clay asked, hugging Hadley to his body. She had been at school all day and she smelled like other people. Clay preferred when she smelled like him, and only him.

"I'm a little tired," she answered. "But good."

"Wow Clay," Vulk said from behind him. "I haven't seen Hadley since she was just a little girl. I'm glad that you two are so happy with each other."

"Thank you," Hadley said, her cheeks turning a light pink. Hadley had only ever met him once before when she was young, but he seemed like a nice guy. She knew Ulric wouldn't let him around his family if he was a bad person.

"Ulric, will you please grab the chicken out of the oven?" Amaryllis called from the kitchen. She was trying to get the mashed potatoes done before everything else was finished cooking.

Ulric carried the chicken from the kitchen to the dining room. Hadley wished she could've come earlier to help Amaryllis cook, but she was at school all day.

"Thank you for cooking Amaryllis, everything looks great," Vulk said when they all sat down.

"Oh, it's no problem."

Clay gripped her upper thigh the entire duration of their meal, slowly inching his hand up her leg until his fingers were just a few millimeters away from her center. Her heart started to race every time he moved his hand and she was sure all the vampires in the room could hear it.

After dinner, Vulk sat on the floor in the living room and played with Emery. She was thrilled to meet Vulk and she took a liking to him immediately. Hadley couldn't help but envision Clay playing with their future daughter like that.

"What are you thinking about?" Clay wrapped his arms around her waist, his chest pressed against her back.

"Just our kids one day," she answered truthfully.

"Thinking of kids already?" Clay teased. "We better get going. You have homework to do for tomorrow."

Hadley sighed, not wanting to leave. She loved spending time with Clay's family. Well, their family. They were all her family too.

"It was nice seeing you again Hadley. I've missed seeing your family Ulric. I promise to make more time to stop by and visit," Vulk said when Clay and Hadley were getting ready to leave.