:: Ten

:: T E N ::

“This is what you’ve both been doing while I wasn’t around?” Ellie asked, anger pulsing through her veins. “You’ve been screwing each other behind my back?” She yelled. “And Kira,” she said turning towards her best friend – scratch that ex best friend – “I cannot believe that you, the one person I have trusted my whole life, would do something like this. How could you?”

Kira heard the hurt that was evident in Ellie’s voice. “Ellie,” She started, her eyes filling with tears. “I – I’m so sorry.” She looked at the floor. “I don’t know how this happened and –“

“Save it, Kira.” Ellie spat. Kira ran out of the room crying. Ellie faced Michael who looked unfazed by everything that just happened. “This is what all those two years meant to you huh?”

“Look, it was nothing okay?” Michael said as he ruffled the hair at the back of his head. “I mean, I barely even see you anymore. You’re always with him.”

“He has a name, Michael.” Ellie stated calmly. “And he’s had a tough time. I was just looking out for him. The poor guy has had such a bad past.”

“Yeah? Then why don’t you be with him and let me be happy with Kira?” Michael spat.

“If you wanted Kira all along why did you even bother with me in the first god damn place?” Anger and a sense of being used ran through her.

“Because you’re so easy to manipulate.” He smirked obnoxiously.

“Easy to manipulate, huh?” Ellie said hotly walking closer to Michael, whose smirk wavered a little as he watched her approaching him hastily. “You son of a…” Ellie pulled her hand back and punched him square in the jaw, making him stagger backwards.

“What the – “ Michael tried to regain his balance after being shocked by Ellie’s aggressive motion.

“We’re even now.” Ellie said, flashing Michael an innocent smile before walking out of the room, the sound of her combat boots echoing in the dead silence, and slamming the door shut on her way out.

“Ellie!” She heard someone calling out her name in the crowded hallway but she didn’t turn to find out who it was. “El, wait up!” The voice called out again. El? Wait a minute. She thought. There’s only one person who calls me El.

As Ellie turned around, she felt a wave of relief course through her, spotting the face of the only person she could stand right now. A small smile formed on her lips as she watched the blond head bobbing in the crowd, coming closer towards her.

“Walking through school hallways will never be easy, I swear.” Luke panted once he reached Ellie. “Where were you rushing to anyway?” He asked, still looking behind him at the jam-packed mess. When Ellie didn’t respond he turned his full concentration on her and noticing the expression on her face he asked, “Hey, what’s wrong, El?” softly.

Ellie shook her head and looked down at her feet as she felt tears threatening to fall. She heard Luke sigh and grab her hand before dragging her outside saving her the embarrassment of breaking down in front of everyone, especially Michael.

Once they reached the back of the school building, Ellie let out a sob before punching the brick wall making jagged cuts appear on the skin of her knuckles. A small sob escaped her lips and she bit on her bottom lip to stop any more from escaping.

“You know, El,” Luke started softly, leaning against the brick wall as he watched her. “It’s okay to cry.”

“I know.” Her voice was so soft it was barely above a whisper. Tears started rolling down her cheeks. It hurt Luke to see her like that. He felt so depressed for reasons unknown to him. Maybe it was because he knew what it felt like to have your heart ripped out of your chest.

And also maybe because Ellie’s cheerful yet sarcastic nature had been a shining ray of hope in the darkness he was plunged in. The deep hole that was dug so deep, he couldn’t get out. He didn’t want Ellie to fall into the same despair that he had. “Hey, hey.” He said softly, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder which was trembling. “Come on,” He sighed “let’s get you out of here.”

Luke led them to his car and opened the door for her and closed it before making his way to the driver’s seat and starting the car, making his way to somewhere – Ellie had no idea where.

Ellie sniffled and rubbed furiously at her eyes. It disgusted her to be this way, moping about a guy who turned out to be completely despicable, but he had been a guy she was happy with. A guy who had stuck with her for two whole years, and for what? Just to hook up with her best friend. She felt a whole new wave of tears appear when that thought hit her. 

She hadn’t even realized that Luke had stopped the car until he cleared his throat and looked at her sympathetically. He hadn’t even asked her what had happened but she was pretty sure he knew. “How about we grab a bite to eat?” He suggested to which Ellie nodded.

“Want to tell me what happened?” Luke asked once Ellie’s tears had calmed down and he had got the chance to buy them burgers, cokes and fries. The tray of food laid untouched on the table between them. Ellie shrugged, picking up a French fry and dipping it in the pool of ketchup she created on the white plate.

She took a bite of the fry and munched on it before realizing that Luke was still staring intently at her. “You have to tell me what happened, El. I want to help.” He stated. Oh how the tables have turned. Ellie thought. Wasn’t I the one who was asking Luke exactly that just a week ago?

“Michael and Kira were hooking up behind my back.” She mumbled incoherently.

“Come again?” Luke looked confused with his eyebrows scrunched together.

“Michael and Kira were hooking up behind my back all this time and I had no idea. Michael doesn’t even seem to care that he ripped my heart to shred and burned them to ashes.” She said numbly. “My own so called best friend was the one he cheated on me with. My best friend of seven god damn years and, yeah, she seems guilty but she’ll get over with it and be back with him in no time.” She took a deep breath and looked over at Luke whose eyes had gone wide and was staring at her open-mouthed. “Please don’t look at me like that.” Ellie whispered looking down at her food.

She heard Luke sigh and say, “I’m sorry. I didn’t want to be right.” She looked up and saw him with his head in his hands. She didn’t know why he was feeling so much pain for something that had happened to her. But then again, didn’t she feel the pain Luke was going through as well?

“It’s obviously not your fault, Luke.” She said reassuringly and reached over to pull his hand away from his head, making him look at her. “Don’t apologize, alright?” The corners of her mouth were turned up slightly.

Luke nodded. “How about we finish off our food and enjoy what’s left of our day?” He suggested.

Ellie nodded enthusiastically. “That, I would love.” She smiled before reaching for her burger.

Author’s Note: Is there too much dialogue in this? What do you guys think? Let me know in the comments! oh and votes would be really appreciated! :) xx
- check out the song on the side by Leona Lewis!

- Pooji