:: Seven

:: S E V E N ::

Luke was walking towards the ice skating rink with Mayday Parade pounding in his ears. The music helps soothe him when his nerves are all over the place like they were now. He couldn’t do it. He just couldn’t. And what couldn’t he? He couldn’t tell Ellie about what happened to his mom. She is the only girl, scratch that, only person, who spoke to him as if he was someone normal after what happened and when she finds out what he did she wouldn’t want to be around him. Ever.

-

Oh, there she is. Luke thought nervously when he saw Ellie already inside, leaning against the barrier watching people skate, her long brown hair hanging freely around her shoulders and down her back.

“Hey.” He said once he was close to her but she didn’t seem to hear him so he walked and stood right behind her and said “Hey,” again, louder this time startling Ellie, making her jump and turn around. She placed a hand on her chest where her heart was and stood there staring at him with wide eyes. Her lips were parted as she took deep breaths.

“You scared me you idiot!” She exclaimed, emphasizing the word idiot by punching Luke’s arm making him flinch and chuckle.

“Sorry.” He said – though he looked anything but – biting on his lower lip. “Come on.” He said, nudging his head in the opposite direction, before he started leading the way to get some skates.

Ellie fell into step with Luke and asked, “Shouldn’t we sit down somewhere quiet if we’re going to talk?”

Luke sighed. “I cant do it, El.” He said, his shoulders drooping.

El? Ellie thought, taken aback. Did he just call me El? No one had ever called me El before.

“Oh come on, Luke. Can’t you trust me?” She asked placing her hand on his arm, stopping him from walking.

“I do.” He said, letting his eyes linger on Ellie’s hand for a few seconds before looking down at his feet. “It’s just… I don’t want you to hate me.” He whispered the last part.

“I’m not going to hate you, Luke. You said you won’t shut me out. So, tell me.” Ellie said softly.

But Luke wouldn’t say anything. He stood there staring at his feet not sure whether to just come out and say it or not. Ellie was watching him intently, patiently waiting for a response.

“I’ve got this feeling as if I’m drowning,” Luke said, breaking the silence, “and I can't seem to get myself out of it.” He had a faraway look in his eyes. Ellie thought she saw a shine in his eyes and wasn’t sure whether it was the light reflecting or tears. She figured it had to be the latter.

“If you would just let me help you, Luke. Please. I’ll help you get through whatever it is.” She said, her heart wrenching for the boy.

“I’ve let people in before. And you know what they did? They learned all my weaknesses and pushed me even further down the hole I was trying to get out of.” He uttered, finally tearing his gaze away from the nothingness he was staring at and right into her eyes. It scared her – the look on his face. But she didn’t look away either.

“But I won’t do that. I promise.” Her voice sounding almost as if she was whispering.

Then Luke’s face changed. He offered her a small smile and said, “Let’s skate.”

Ellie gaped at him, bewildered by the sudden change. Luke, becoming conscious about the fact that he has Ellie puzzled, decided to clear things out. “I’ll tell you everything, I promise. Let’s just skate since we’re here.” He explained. But inside his mind all he thought was how this will be the last day he’d ever get to speak to Ellie.

-

-

“Try to stay still!” Luke exclaimed, his shoulders shaking from the laughter he was trying so hard to hold back.

“I couldn’t even if I wanted to!” Ellie yelled hysterically, her arms failingly. Then she lost control and landed right on her bum with an oomph which made Luke lose it and break out in loud bursts of laughter making everyone look at them with odd expressions. Ellie felt her cheeks heating up from embarrassment. She covered her face with her hands making Luke laugh even more, holding onto his stomach because of the cramps he was getting.

“Can you shut up already?” asked Ellie through gritted teeth, her voice sounding muffled through her hands.

“Sorry.” Luke gasped confining his laughter. He took a deep breath and was quiet. Ellie thought he had walked away and so she moved her hands ever so slightly and peaked to see what happened to the giant blonde giraffe. She saw him leaning down with his hand outstretched, a smirk evident on his face.

Ellie reached out and grabbed his hand making Luke tighten his grip and pull her up, both of them now laughing at each other. He then grabbed her other hand as well to keep her upright ceasing their laughter as Ellie’s chest bumped Luke’s. They stood there, chest to chest, staring into each other’s eyes, both of them speechless at the sudden change of their environment. The only thing they could hear was their breathing. It was as if they were in their own little bubble and all the other sounds were nonexistent.

How long their stood there like that, gazing at each other, Ellie didn’t have the slightest clue and neither did Luke. But like all good things it was short lived.

Someone cleared their throat and said “Uh excuse me?” from behind them making both Luke and Ellie jump. Ellie jerked her hands away from Luke’s tight grasp and cleared her throat. She moved aside letting the presumably fifteen year old boy, who was looking at the two of them with an odd expression, walk past them. What he was doing walking in the middle of an ice skating rink was a complete mystery.

“Uhm…” Luke started making Ellie look at him hesitantly. He was starting to feel less confident by the minute about telling Ellie everything. He decided to just say it before he could delay it further.

He pulled Ellie to a side, away from all the skaters and towards the barriers. He looked straight into her eyes, all the previous humor wiped clean off of his face, and said “I killed my mom.”

Author's Note: Update! Sorry it took so long! And please don't be ghost readers you guys! I would love to hear your opinions on the story so vote and comment! :)

- Pooji