:: Five

I really enjoyed writing this chapter. If you like this, please don’t forget to VOTE and COMMENT! It would mean a lot! :)

:: F I V E ::

Crash! Something smashed scaring the living daylights out of Ellie who ran outside to see what had happened. And what did she find? Her brother, Jake, was sprawled on the dirt where her mother’s flower pots were now in pieces.

“You are so dead!” Ellie exclaimed as she smirked at her seventeen year old sibling.

“Who are you? Where am I?” Jake asked as he sat up dusting his hands. “Who am I?”

“I can deal with an idiotic, annoying, out of this world brother but I cannot deal with an idiotic, annoying, out of this world brother with amnesia!” Ellie rolled her eyes making Jake laugh.

“I am out of this world aren’t I? I mean, how many amazing people do you meet?” he asked, standing up and dusting his jeans.

“I didn’t mean it as a compliment you psycho.” Ellie laughed. “How were basketball tryouts?”

“Oh, not so bad! I made the team!” He exclaimed as he smiled widely.

“That’s my little brother!” Ellie smacked his arm.

Little.” Jake scoffed. “I am the tallest in the family, little one.” He patted Ellie on the head making her swat his hand away and walk away saying “I hate you.”

-

Breathe, Luke, breathe. Luke thought to himself. You’ve made it this far. It’s been a week now, you can do this. Just breathe. He let out a deep breath and sagged against the bathroom sink. He took ragged breaths as he stared at himself in the mirror. His skin was paler than usual and his lips blended with his skin emphasizing his black lip ring. Beads of sweat were running down his forehead and his fingers were going numb from holding on to the sink so tightly.

He had to fight the urge to get the blade out. The many bracelets covering his wrists weren’t for style. They were there to hide his scars. The cuts he’d inflicted upon himself to get rid of the pain he felt inside. Jake had seen them once and had given him a long lecture. He had also said that their mother wouldn’t be too thrilled if she knew about it. Luke had retorted saying mom wasn’t around and he had broken down but he promised he would try to stop. And now a week later his urge was coming back stronger but he had to fight it. He had to fight the demons inside, they couldn’t control his life.

There was something else that was bothering him. Something that confused him deeply and that was Ellie. He could usually block people out and not let them bother him but something about her drove him to the edge. He could be himself around her and joke around but then at times he could strangle her. He didn’t know what was going on but he knew it had to stop for the better.

A knock on the door pulled him out of his thoughts and he splashed some water on his face and closed the tap.

“Hey, you okay in there buddy?” He heard Jack ask and he made his way to the door, unlocking it and stepping out.

“Yeah, I’m good.” Luke shrugged.

“Any urges?” he asked making Luke shake his head. “Are you sure?” He asked raising his eyebrow. His brother knew him too well.

Luke sighed and said, “I guess, but I didn’t give in.” He pushed up his bracelets and showed his wrists to prove his point.

“Good.” Jack nodded. “I’m proud of you.” He said as he hugged Luke tightly. Jack loved his brother so much and Luke had no idea. Jack didn’t know what he would do if Luke decided to leave, forever. Ben had already walked out after an argument with their father who ended up marrying someone else and moving away. It was just Luke and Jack, Jack and Luke till the end and Jack prayed it would be that way.

“Well, I have to go now. Ellie said she’ll tutor me today.” Luke said as he broke away from the hug.

“Oh, she decided to give you another shot after you lashed out on her like that?” Jack asked with raised eyebrows.

Luke looked down sheepishly and said, “I didn’t mean to. It’s just – her questions always end up leading to mom.”

“Just try not to scare this girl away, Luke.” Jack advised.

-

“So, shall we start?” Ellie asked skeptically.

“Yeah, okay. What are we doing today?” Luke asked as he opened his book and grabbed a pencil.

“Well, how about some trigonometry?” Ellie asked and Luke shrugged. “And before we start, I want to say I’m sorry for asking so many questions. If it’s something you don’t want to talk about, I understand. It’s just I ask too many questions. It’s a disease.”

Luke chuckled and Ellie’s heart fluttered. What was that all about? She thought, shocked.

“It’s alright.” Luke smiled. “I just have trouble opening up to people you know?”

Ellie nodded and pointed at Luke’s text book indicating to him the sums he must complete.

After an hour and half, Ellie decided to get herself a coffee and she asked Luke if he needed anything to which he shook his head. So she made her way to the counter and ordered a milk coffee and a chocolate croissant.

“Want some?” she asked making Luke raise his head.

“No, thank you.” He smiled and went back to scribbling rapidly on a piece of paper.

She sat down and started eating her croissant as she watched Luke trying to solve the sums with his eyebrows furrowed. She examined his face. She thought his skin was so pale compared to hers and his blue eyes were so electric. He had really thin lips and a lip ring. Usually lip rings don’t suit guys all that much but it sure as hell looked good on Luke. His blonde hair was up in a quiff with some strands sticking up wildly. She came to the conclusion that they were complete opposites when it came to looks. He had blonde hair, hers was brown. He had blue eyes, hers were green. His skin was pale but hers had a bit of the tanned look in it.

“Are you done memorizing my face?” Luke smirked without looking up.

“I was not memorizing your face.” Ellie rolled her eyes.

“Yeah?” Luke asked looking up and right into her eyes. “Then maybe you were mesmerized by it.” He winked and started laughing. Ellie pursed her lips trying not to smile.

“There you see. You’re much more pleasant when you joke around than sulk.” Ellie said smiling.

“I don’t sulk.” Luke stated his laughter dying down.

“Yes, you do.” Ellie shrugged. “You have issues man.” She had meant it as a joke but Luke really did have issues, she just didn’t know it.

“I’ll be okay, is that what you want me to say?” He asked, trying hard not to be angry because she didn’t understand. She never will.

Did you just quote Mayday Parade? Was what Ellie wanted to ask but given the circumstance she didn’t think it was appropriate. But then considering the look on Luke’s face, she realized that she had indeed asked it out loud. The look of disgust on his face was proof enough.

“I’m leaving.” He spat out.

“No, Luke. I’m sorry.” She groaned as she reached for his hand.

He flinched as if her touch burnt his skin. He stood up abruptly, fuming. The table toppled over and crashed onto the ground as he raged – his eyes becoming narrower by the second.

Author's Note: Hope you guys enjoyed this! The story's starting to build up now! :) vote/comment please! ^^

- Pooji