:: Twenty Four

:: T W E N T Y F O U R ::

The doorbell rang and Luke went to check who was at the door. He was taken by surprise when it was the last person he had expected to be there with her hands on her hips, dark brown hair in curls all over her shoulders, standing on the porch.

He slowly opened the door wider and cleared his throat making the brunette look up at him from her phone she had whipped out. She smiled and said, "Well hello there, Luke."

"Briana?" Luke said hesitantly. "Uh, what are you doing here?"

"I came to see Ellie. Are you letting me in or am I supposed to wait outside?" she questioned, placing her phone inside her pocket.

"Uh, okay." He said as he opened the door wide enough to let her in and scratched the back of his neck, utterly confused.

"Do you, like, live here now?" Briana asked as Luke closed the door behind them.

"No," Luke shrugged. "I just stay here most of the time I guess." He couldn't help but think how out of order this was. Briana in Ellie's house was something out of the ordinary as far as he knew.

Briana nodded and followed him as he led her to the living room where Ellie was lying on the couch with a book in her hands.

"Uhm, El? You have a visitor." Luke said and stepped aside to reveal Briana who waved.

Ellie looked up, placed her book down and sent a questioning glance towards Luke who shrugged and walked away.

Great, Ellie thought. Thank you for leaving me with her, Luke. She mentally smacked him.

She motioned for Briana to take a seat.

"I heard what happened," Briana said as she sat down on the edge of the couch making it dip down.

Ellie looked at her with a raised eyebrow. "And what exactly did you hear?" She asked as she sat up straight and crossed her legs.

"What happened with Kira and Michael and the accident after the party," Briana stated with a serious expression on her face.

"Oh," Ellie said and remained quiet. "How'd you find out?" She asked after a while.

"I have my sources," Briana smirked and when Ellie looked at her skeptically she said, "Okay. Your mom told my mom about your accident when they met at the grocery store and I found about Michael and Kira from Dave."

"Dave? As in Dave Jones?" Ellie asked, amused. "The one who cried in primary school(check) because someone had said that his new haircut made him look like a withered mushroom and wouldn't stop crying until his mother came and took him home?" Ellie laughed remembering ad if it had happened just yesterday.

"That's the one" Briana nodded as she burst out in laughter. "And, uh, I'm the one who told him that," she confessed quietly.

"Oh right. Those were seriously the days," Ellie laughed.

"And we were friends back then too," Briana said.

"Yeah," Ellie sighed. "What even happened, Bri?" She asked as she played with the bottom of her t-shirt.

"I don't know," Briana shrugged.

"Well, I remember that we used to be inseparable and would always play together until one of our parents dragged us away. But then one you just stopped talking and ever since then we've hated each other," Ellie said looking straight at the girl in front of her.

"That was because you went around telling everyone that I cried when my dollhouse broke!" Briana exclaimed. "I kept getting made fun of for years!"