:: Fourteen

:: F O U R T E E N ::

Ellie had fallen asleep on the sofa. Her head was on Luke’s lap and he was trying to untangle his fingers from her hair which had been stroking for the past hour. He had wanted to ask Ellie something. Something he was dreading her answer to. He felt her stir in his lap and her eyelids fluttered, taking some time before opening up her eyes completely.

“What are you staring at?” She asked groggily before sitting up straight and turning so she could lean her back against the sofa.

‘Your beautiful face’ was what Luke wanted to say but he opted with the safer option. “You drool in your sleep.” Oh way to go, Luke. You’ll surely win the award for being the most romantic guy on the face of the planet. He cursed himself.

“Well excuse me, but I sleep gracefully unlike you.” She said as she poked Luke’s cheek making him smile which made his dimples pop.

Luke bit down on his lip ring, a fight going inside his head. Should I tell? Or should I not? Will she hate me for this? Or will she not? Will she be glad or mad? What do I do?

“El,” He started hesitantly, “I want to ask you something. No, I need to tell you something.” He stuttered as Ellie’s green eyed gazed fixed itself intently on him making him more nervous than he had ever felt in his life.

“I’m listening.” Ellie encouraged when she saw Luke’s hesitation.

“I – I kind of maybe like you?” He mumbled incoherently making Ellie’s eyebrows scrunch up in confusion. Luke took a deep breath and let it go before continuing it more understandably and this time he said everything while looking at his hands instead, “I like you, El. And not just as a friend either. I didn’t want to tell you this because, well, I was scared of being rejected. No, actually, I’m still scared of being rejected. You’re someone who didn’t leave my side after everything and you have no idea how much that means to me.

“And I also know that after what Michael did, you have a hard time believing in relationships. But I don’t want to label anything. And I understand if you don’t like me back more than friend. And we can go back to being normal if you say no.” He ended it with a quick glance at Ellie who had her lips clamped tightly.

“Luke, you’re an amazing person. You really are. You could have any girl if you would just talk to them, so why are you asking me?” Ellie asked.

“Well,” He said and looked deeply into her eyes. The corners of his lips tugged up slightly and then he started singing, “people fall in love in mysterious ways, maybe just the touch of a hand,” He sang as he grabbed Ellie’s hand and stood up making her stand up along with him.

Well, me—I fall in love with you every single day, and I just wanna tell you I am,” He spun Ellie before continuing to slow dance with her while singing, “So honey now, take me into your loving arms, kiss me under the light of a thousand stars, place your head on my beating heart. I'm thinking out loud, that maybe we found love right where we are.” He hummed while resting his forehead against Ellie’s, who felt as if she couldn’t breathe anymore, and then he spun her one last time.

“So, what do you say?” He asked, his voice so deep, Ellie felt goose bumps rise on her skin.

“Yes.” She said breathlessly.

“Yes?” Luke asked with raised eyebrows and a smile and Ellie nodded.

He pulled her in and wrapped his arms tightly around her waist, bringing her closer before crashing his lips onto hers and kissing her passionately.