:: One

:: O N E ::

"Oh shit!" Ellie jumped out of bed after checking the time on her phone. She was going to be late for school, again. She ran to her closet and grabbed the first outfit she laid her eyes on and darted to the bathroom to wash up. And then she rushed downstairs to find her mom sitting at the table in the kitchen reading a newspaper while sipping a cup of coffee.

"Late again, Elaine?" she asked without looking up from the paper.

"Mhm." Ellie grabbed a snack bar and ran out the door but walked back in to yell, "Bye mom!" and dashed out again sprinting down the street to her school which was a 10 minute walk.

-

"You look like a complete train wreck, Ellie!" was the first thing her best friend, Kira, said to her when she walked, well more like sprinted, into school with a minute to spare.

"Tell me something I don't know." She sighed as she closed her locker once she grabbed her history and math books, the subjects she had before lunch. "I keep sending the alarm to snooze. Is there a way to stop that?" she asked turning to face Kira who shook her head looking confused, "Didn't think so."

"You'd better figure something out soon, Ellie. You can't be late every day." Kira reasoned. Being Ellie's best friend for the past seven years, you could say Kira knew her in and out. They have always stuck with each other through thick and thin and nothing would change that. That's what they had sworn to when they first became good friends. "Oh and by the way," she continued, "Michael has been searching high and low for you. I told him that you probably didn't get up on time again. And before you ask, he said that he'll be waiting for you near the cola machine next to his locker." She smiled.

"Oh, my god!" Ellie face palmed. "Thank you so much, Kira! Honestly, what would I do without you?" she sighed and gave her friend a big hug before hurrying down the hall searching for Michael, her boyfriend. She had been going out with him for the past 2 years and they had a pretty strong and serious relationship going on being 18 years old. Yes, they had problems from time to time but hey, who didn't?

She found him exactly where Kira said he would be. He was leaning against the cola machine, his foot propped up, as he stared intently at his phone screen with his eyebrows furrowed.

"Hey, Michael!" Ellie said as she planted a kiss on his cheek, pulling his thoughts away from whatever they were on a minute ago.

"Hey, babe." He said flashing Ellie a big smile that lit up his whole face. He then wrapped his right arm around her shoulder and said, "I'll walk you to class."

The couple then made their way to where Ellie was having her first period, which was history. Once they reached the door to the classroom, Michael bent down and kissed Ellie making her wrap her arms around his neck, standing on her tippy toes. They were too caught up in their own world to realize that Mr. Brown, Ellie's history sir, had opened the door and was now glaring at them.

"If you're not too busy," Mr. Brown said sternly, making them break apart. "We're about to start the lesson Ms. Hawthorn."

"Sorry Mr. Brown." Ellie said as she walked past her sir and into the classroom where Briana – the popular girl who Ellie didn't give a damn about – sniggered making Ellie roll her eyes. She sat down at her usual spot, way back in the corner of the class.

"You might want to keep your PDA's low, Mr. Clifford. I don't like repeating myself." Ellie heard Mr. Brown state before walking into the class, closing the door behind him.

He then started a presentation, after switching off the lights, droning on and on about god knows what. Ellie never bothered to listen. She didn't care about history. It's already been done so why should they learn about it? That's what she had always thought. Instead she grabbed her copy of Harry Potter and was soon sucked into it.

Ellie was brought out of the deep trance she had fallen into while reading Harry Potter when she heard Briana sniggering again. "What do you want?" she asked harshly looking up from her book and at the girl sitting two desks in front and to the left of her. That girl was devil's spawn. Oh she didn't look bad, not at all. In fact, she looked amazing. She had the gorgeous brown hair, green eyes, perfect body and whatnot down to a T. What she didn't have was the amazing personality to go with it. She had an ice cold heart and Ellie hated her with all her being.

"You might want to keep your PDA's low," she mocked, trying to imitate Mr. Brown. "That is something I'll never forget. It must've been really embarrassing for you." She smirked. Briana had liked Michael for the longest time and had wanted to make him one of the guys whose name she could put down on her boyfriend list. The only problem she had? Ellie. Michael never acknowledged Briana's existence and now she would take it out on the fact that Michael had picked Ellie over her.

"Bite me." Ellie said just as Mr. Brown switched on the lights, signifying the end of the class. She stood up, grabbing her shoulder bag, and walked out of the class, leaving the ice demon to get over herself.

-

"I wonder what his sob story is," said Michael, his steady gaze fixed on someone ahead of him.

"Who?" Ellie asked, her eyes following his gaze, scanning through the cafeteria hubbub and finally landing on a boy sitting at a table in the middle of the hall all alone. He was gazing down at his tray of food, toying with it instead of eating. His blond quiff looked messy and droopy. His eyes were bloodshot and he seemed to be completely oblivious to his surroundings.

"Oh, him." She said sipping on her coke. "He's been that way for as long as I can remember. I always wondered what happened to him."

Luke. That was his name. He was one of the hottest guys in school and Briana had wanted him like she had wanted Michael, but he wouldn't give her the time of day. Suddenly he lifted his head up, as if he sensed that Ellie was staring at him, and looked right into her eyes those electric, blue eyes making her feel as if he was gazing into her soul and looked away just as quickly leaving her stunned.

Author's Note: I'm so excited for this story words cannot even describe it! haha! Hope you guys enjoy reading this! xx

- Pooji