:: Eleven

:: E L E V E N ::

"Okay, so I have another question." Luke said after wiping the tears in his eyes from all the laughter. "This is a serious one."

"Shoot." Ellie smiled as she popped candied popcorn into her mouth from the paper bag she was holding.

"If you could go to anywhere in the world, where would you go?" He asked.

"That's a tough one." Ellie said as she scrunched up her face in thought. "I would love to go to England one day." She nodded. "And Dubai too." Luke nodded in approval.

They walked ahead, towards the car park where Luke had parked his car, in blissful silence, munching on the little snacks they had accumulated at the shops they had trudged into. They had walked for what felt like hours, talking to each other about the most random of things and asking each other any question that came to their mind.

The sky was tinged pink with gashes of orange lines across it. The streets were crowded but not so much that you could barely move in peace. Ellie may seem like she was having a fun time but she was bruised on the inside. It was undeniable. What happened had definitely hurt her. She was just so glad that Luke was around or she didn't know what she would have done. She glanced at the blonde boy through the corners of her eyes. Who would've thought it'd be him trying to keep the smile on her face from disappearing forever.

She could see Luke turning his head to train his gaze on her. "Are you sure that you're alright, El?" He asked again, not buying Ellie's 'I'm okay' act.

"Yeah, Luke." She sighed and stopped walking when she realized that Luke wasn't next to her anymore but, when she looked around and spotted him, was sitting on one of the benches that were fixed all along the side of the road. She walked over to him and plopped herself on the bench and said, "I don't want to annoy you with my bickering." 

"Oh, don't talk bullshit, El." He rolled his eyes. He had gotten used to Ellie and was now his real self. He wasn't hiding who he was anymore — not from Ellie anyway.

Ellie tilted her head to the side with her eyebrow raised, a smirk playing on her lips. "I'm not bullshitting." She said earning a scoff from Luke.

"Yeah, right." He said sarcastically. "And you mean to tell me that you're a hundred percent fine?"

"Alright, so maybe I exaggerated a little." She glared at him. "I just... I don't want to go to school tomorrow. Is there any possibility that I could pull of a ditch?" She asked more to herself than to Luke.

"No way! You don't want them to think they've thrown you to the ground, do you? Come to school tomorrow and show them that El is stronger than ever and that you can save the world! Tan-ta-na!" He said magnificently, stretching his arms in front of him in a grand gesture, making Ellie burst out in laughter.

"You're way too dramatic." She laughed, almost chocking on her popcorn.

"But on a more serious note, I meant almost everything I said." He shrugged. "Except the saving the world part. You could do it if you wanted to, but for now let's take it one step at a time."

"You're so weird." Ellie shook her head. "Why do I even talk to you?" She asked.

"Because I am Luke the great." He pulled at the imaginary collar of his black nirvana tee-shirt.

"Sure you are." Ellie chuckled. "Now, you have to drop me home. Come on, your highness." She said standing up and offering her hand to Luke, who grabbed onto it and stood up, bowing before leading the way.

-

-

"It's okay." Luke whispered into Ellie's ear and grabbed her hand, squeezing it reassuringly. "I'll be with you through this, trust me." His hot breath was fanning on her cheek making her skin tingle.