:: Twenty Eight

:: T W E N T Y   E I G H T ::

3 MONTHS LATER

"Honey," Ellie's mom called up the stairs after going through the post. "There's a letter addressed to you."

"Coming!" Ellie yelled before coming downstairs and taking the cream coloured envelope from her mother. "It's from UNSW Art & Design!" She gasped and looked at her mom who looked excited. It was the Art and Design University Ellie had been dreaming of ever since she could remember.

"Well, open it up!" Jane said excitedly.

Ellie, who didn't need further urging, ripped open the envelope, careful not to tear the letter inside. She took out the letter and skimmed through the contents quickly.

"I – I got in!" she gasped before throwing her arms around her mother.

"Honey! That's amazing! I'm so proud of you," her mother kissed her face repeatedly. "We'll tell your father and Jake when they get home!"

"I have to tell Luke," Ellie said less enthusiastically.

"Oh honey," her mother sighed. "He'll understand."

Ellie nodded, biting hard on her bottom lip, and walked back to her room and plopped down on her bed after grabbing her phone.

She called Luke and said, "I have something to tell you."

"Well, hi to you too," his deep voice chuckled making her melt.

"Hi," she giggled.

"What is the something you have to tell me?" He asked.

"I want to tell you in person," she said after a moment's hesitation.

"At the Allison's coffee shop?" Luke asked. It was where their first, not so successful tutoring lesson had taken place.

"Okay. See you there in ten minutes," Ellie said before hanging up.

-

"Mum," Ellie called out as she walked down the stairs dressed in black, ripped skinny jeans and an oversized grey hoodie paired with her worn black converse.

"Yes, Elaine," her mother's voice drifted towards her from the kitchen where she could hear the slamming of the cupboards along with the sounds of the pots and pans.

"I'm going to Allison's coffee shop to meet Luke," she said as she walked towards her mother and took a packet of salt that her mother was struggling to reach.

"Thank you, honey. Don't be too long!" Jane said and Ellie placed a kiss on get cheek before saying 'okay, mum' and heading out the door.

As soon as Ellie was out the door, she put in her earphones and walked down the street. The song started in the middle since Ellie had been listening to it before.

Save your heart for someone that's worth dying for
Don't give it away
Torn apart
Never getting what you've been crying for
It's always the same

It was weird how Mayday Parade seemed to sing everything Ellie would go through. This song reminded her of Luke and how he'd always been by her side ever since they started talking.

She reached the coffee shop and walked in to see the back of a blonde boy's head and she knew immediately who it was.

Save your heart for someone that's worth dying for
Don't give it away

After hearing the tinkle of the bell above the door, the blonde looked around, his electric blue eyed gaze landing on Ellie making his entire face light up.

Save your heart for someone who leaves you breathless and I know that you're scared

Ellie's breath hitched in her throat. Luke seemed to have that effect on her and no matter how much time they spent together, she knew the feeling would never subside.

She took out her earphones after pausing the song and stuffed them into the pocket of her hoodie.

"Hey, El," Luke said as he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her in a warm embrace.

Ellie wrapped her arms around his waist and breathed in his familiar cologne. She always felt safe in his arms. Like nothing bad could ever happen to her, no matter what he would think.

"Hi," she breathed out once they let go and Luke pulled her with him to a table.

"Coffee?" he asked her and she nodded.

"With milk," she stated with a smile.

"Of course," he winked before walking away to the counter to order the drinks.

Ellie started picking at her nails trying to figure out the way to break the news to Luke. How could she do this?

"What's the news?" Luke asked as he slipped into the booth, leaning forward against the table as he faced her, the goofiest of smiles on his face.

"I - I," Ellie stuttered not having the heart to say it.

"Two coffees. Can I get you both anything else?" The waitress interrupted as she placed down the mugs of steaming hot, aromatic coffee.

"Nothing for me," said Luke before looking at Ellie who shook her head. "Thank you," he smiled at the waitress who nodded.

Luke looked at Ellie expectantly after the waitress left them alone, blowing on his coffee before picking up a spoon to stir in some sugar.

"Luke," Ellie sighed. "I got accepted to UNSW Art & Design. I'll have to move to Paddington where their campus is," she said making Luke drop the spoon on to the table with a clatter.

***

OHMYGOSH WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN?

What do you guys think? Will they split?

Will Luke fall back to where he was before?

Comment and let me know what you guys think :D Votes would mean a lot too! As always your support on this book is overwhelming at times! I can't believe the amount of people that like this! :D Love you all loads xx

Dedicated to lunamoon_ who voted on all the chapters in a day or something :o Thank you love!

- Pooji