:: Twenty Three

:: T W E N T Y   T H R E E ::

 "Look at those two," Jane whispered in awe to John as her eyes settled on the sight in front of her when they entered the living room.

Luke and Ellie were sprawled across the floor with empty Doritos packets beside them. Luke's hand was thrown around Ellie's waist and Ellie was curled up into his chest, her knees tucked in front of her. Light snores were escaping Luke's parted lips, both of their chests moving in rhythm as they breathed.

"Only Luke would be gentleman enough to sleep with a girl without doing anything," John said proudly as he watched them with a smile.

"Definitely," Jane agreed with a smile. "Might as well go fix up dinner," she said as she patted John's arm before hanging her coat on the rack and heading into the kitchen.

John looked at the two, who were sleeping peacefully, one last time in approval before following his wife into the kitchen to help her with dinner.

-

Luke groaned, slowly untangling himself from Ellie, careful not to wake her up, as he opened his eyes groggily, the light making his eyes burn. He placed his hand hastily across his face to block the light. He stayed there lying still before taking his hand away and letting his eyes adjust to the light. Looking to his left, he saw Ellie still sound asleep so he placed a kiss on her temple before slowly standing up.

He headed into the kitchen to get some water after picking up the Doritos packets that were littering on the floor. Disposing them in the dustbin, he waved at Jane and John who stopped their cooking to look up and smile at Luke when he entered the kitchen.

"Hello, my dear," Jane said kindly as she continued chopping the vegetables. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine Mrs. Hawthorn," Luke responded politely with a smile as he filled up a glass with water from the crystal jug. He took a sip and continued, "How are you? And how are you Mr. Hawthorn?" to which they both responded saying they were doing fine.

"Your prom is next week, am I right?" Jane asked.

"Next week?" Luke's eyes widened. "Is it November already?" Luke asked flabbergasted.  

"Yes, sweetie," Jane chuckled softly.

"And our results will be coming out on the fifteenth of December!" Luke continued as he slowly began to realize the days. "I didn't ask El to prom!" He exclaimed, a look of shock on his face as he looked from Jane to John and back.

"Calm down, honey," Jane said as she placed the knife on the chopping board and wiping her hands on the cloth next to her before walking over to Luke and patting his shoulders.

Over the past few months, she had become a mother to Luke. Someone he could talk to. Especially when it came to talking about Ellie. Jane had always watched over him and made sure he wasn't left out at any dinners or celebrations. She was happy that Luke loved her daughter in a way no other teenagers do. She was also glad that Luke got along very well with Jake, Ellie's brother.

"The past few days weren't the brightest were they? So you can ask Elaine to prom today," She said looking at John who nodded in agreement.

"Okay," Luke said as relief washed over him. "I'll ask her today."

"Ask who what today?" Ellie asked as she walked into the kitchen with her hair sticking out oddly.

"I – uh – I," Luke stuttered and Jane turned him around with a grin on her face and pushed him towards Ellie.