:: Thirty Three

:: T H I R T Y T H R E E ::

-

6 MONTHS LATER

"He's so much like you, isn't he?" Ellie said, her voice sounding so much more closer than she actually was, through Luke's phone.

"Yes, he is," Luke said, lying down on his bed as he stared up at his boring, white ceiling. "That's what I'm afraid of."

Ellie knew exactly what he was talking about. He saw the broken boy in Trevor. The broken boy Luke was when Ellie first met him. Ellie couldn't imagine what Luke went through and what Trevor was going through now.

"Did he move in with his grandparents?" Ellie asked, genuinely concerned for the little boy she was yet to meet.

"He did. They're wonderful people and they live right next door! Can you believe it, El? Apparently Trevor used to live with his parents in the neighboring town but his grandparents have been living here forever," he said, sounding amazed.

"Wow, it's a small world huh?" Ellie said and Luke heard pages turning.

"Assignments?" He asked.

"Yes," Ellie sighed. "Save me!"

"I wish I could, El," Luke chuckled. "I wish I could."

"You can!" Ellie exclaimed. "All you have to do is get on your broomstick and fly here! Ta-daa!" Luke could imagine her gesturing wildly as she said this.

"Or I'll just let you suffer, Princess," he said in an evil voice.

"Calling me Princess won't work after telling me to suffer," Ellie huffed, feigning hurt in her voice.

Luke chuckled. "Well, you'll always be my princess," he said softly. Always

"And you'll always be my princey boo," Ellie cooed. Always

"And you both will always be the cause of my death with your sweetness!" Luke heard Briana yell dramatically causing Ellie to break out in laughter - which was like music to his ears - and he found himself smiling.

"Briana's in quite a foul mood today," Ellie chucked and before Luke could ask why, she continued, "Malcolm won't stop following her around. I think he's outside our room right this moment."

"Malcolm the creepy, yet hot, stalker?" Luke asked with an arched eyebrow and an amused smile as he repeated the exact same words Ellie had mentioned a couple of weeks ago.

"Exactly," Ellie laughed some more. "He's been showing up in all of her classes and now she has a bunch of friends following her to each and every class because she's scared of him."

"Well, tell Briana I'll be there soon and I'll kick that guy's butt," Luke said.

"I wish you could be here though," Ellie sighed. The joking and silliness had left the conversation.

"I know, El. I wish I could be there too," Luke said as he mindlessly played with the hem of his shirt.

The thing was, he would be there with her soon. He was going to visit her once she got her holidays but she didn't know that. It was surprise he had been planning for three months with the help of not only Jack but Ellie's parents too.

"You'll be getting your holidays next week right?" He asked.

"Yeah," she said unenthusiastically.

"What will you do then?" He asked, trying hard to hide his excitement.

"I don't know. Probably stay in and do my homework," she sighed before letting out a small yawn.