:: Twenty one

:: T W E N T Y O N E ::

Luke was walking towards the ward Ellie was moved into when he saw a huge group of people standing in the hallway looking anxious yet eager. Confusion taking over him, he walked around them and realized they were his family and friends waiting to see Ellie. He was taken aback by the amount of people and could barely conceal the smile tugging at his lips.

Before Luke could even utter a word, he was pulled backwards by an arm around his neck. One look at the tattooed initials on the hand of the person who grabbed him and Luke knew who he was. He turned around to see Calum with a goofy expression on his face. His lips were in a half smile as if not sure whether to smile or not and his eyes looked ever so tiny with crinkles formed at the corners.

Words weren't spoken but the bone crushing hug between them said more than any words ever could. Ellie was alive. Their best friend was alive and that meant more than anything in their lives at this point in time.

Calum patted Luke on the back before letting go and sending him a warm smile which Luke returned. Luke felt a hand on his shoulder and saw a relieved looking Ashton on his right who also hugged him tightly. The connection they had was astounding and the fact that this bond was established within a few months was remarkable.

Amongst the group of people were Ellie's parents and brother, Jake and his new girlfriend, who was a very kind person, and two middle aged women who looked peculiarly like Jane so Luke figured they were her sisters.

Ellie's father was talking to the doctor while her mother listened in with an occasional nod or shake of the head. When Jane's shifting gaze landed on Luke, she smiled, her tense features visibly relaxing. She waved him over and, once he was by her side, said, "What did we do to be blessed with an angel like you?" Tears glistened like crystals at the corners of her eyes. "I don't know how we'll ever repay you for saving Ellie's life. We will forever be in debt to you."

Luke reached forward hurriedly and clasped her hands in his. "She's part of my life too now, Mrs. Hawthorn. Please don't thank me."

Why can't they understand she was in this situation because of me in the first place? He thought to himself sorrowfully.

A sob escaped Jane's lips before she hugged Luke. From the top of Jane's head, Luke could see John looking at him. He gave Luke a nod and thanked him gratefully.

Everyone gathered around Ellie's bed and were looking down in wonder. She wasn't awake but instead, fast asleep. She looked peaceful in her sleep, as if she had no worries. Jane spent a long time just holding her daughter's hand, fighting back her tears.

Everyone looked happy. They looked relieved. Ecstatic even. Happy chatter drifted from their ward and their smiles were so contagious that, when the time came for them to go, the other patients were all smiles as well.

-

-

"Slowly, Ellie, be careful," Luke warned as he led her out of the car and down the path towards her front door.

"I'm fine, Luke," Ellie laughed as she rolled her eyes. "I'm all good!"

Luke sighed, giving up as he kept his firm hold on her wrist with one hand while his other was holding her bag of clothes.

A week after she had woken up, the doctors had run through some tests to make sure she was alright and said that she was. They also said that a little therapy would be advisable. Luke had listened to everything they said, soaking up all the details before thanking Dr. Claire profusely for all her help.

He had yet to tell Ellie that she was advised to attend therapy. He was sure she wouldn't like it. Once reaching the front door, he fished out the keys from his hoodie pocket and unlocked the door.

Ellie walked in, taking a deep breath. Her lips formed into a smile, lighting up her whole face. Luke couldn't help but admire her beauty.

"I - I'll be heading off now then. if you need anything just give me a call," he said as he placed a light kiss on her forehead.

"What?" She asked, baffled. "What do you mean you'll be heading off? You don't have to go! We can watch a movie like we used to." She said with a light smile.

"Okay," Luke responded as he followed a now cheerful Ellie into the living room.

-

By the end of the second movie, Ellie was all yawns. When she yawned for about the tenth time Luke said, "Why don't you get some rest, El?" He chuckled softly.

"That sounds like a really good plan," she murmured sleepily, snuggling closer to Luke and burying her face in his chest, breathing in his scent.

She was enjoying the moment while Luke on the other hand had an uneasy feeling growing bigger and bigger inside of him.

"El," he said softly. "There's something I have to tell you." She looked up at him and waited for him to continue. "The doctors said you might have to go for therapy for a while. Make sure you're completely fine, you know?"

Ellie sighed and nodded. "I guess, but I don't want to," she frowned, knotting her eyebrows together.

"I figured you wouldn't like the idea so I told them but they insisted," He shrugged.

"Luke, can I ask you something?" Ellie sat up and faced him. He nodded. "What's wrong? I mean, why are you acting so distant from me? Did I do something wrong?" She asked. Luke could see the hurt that was evident in her eyes. The smiles that she had sent his way were all forced.

Luke shook his head before slouching forward and placing his head in his hands. "El, I almost killed you. I killed my mom and now, I almost lost you," his voice broke. "I'm scared that if I get too close something would happen to you again. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if anything happened to you again."

He stood up in a flash before Ellie could say anything. "I - I'll go home now. Bye, Princess," he said looking at the floor, his vision blurred by all the unshed tears.

I have to do this. I have to leave her. She would be safe that way. I'm a monster and she's an angel. He thought as he ignored all her protests and walked out the door.

"Luke!" She yelled from the doorway but he didn't slow down his pace.

She walked down the steps and onto the grass which, wet from the rain earlier, tickled her bare feet. "It's not your fault! Why can't you understand that it isn't?" She screamed and cried. "Please don't leave me, I need you," she said in a voice just above a whisper, looking at the ground as she tried to fight back the tears.

Luke stopped walking and turned around to look at her, his face showed remorse and grief. "You said that I was told to go for therapy," she continued and he started walking again, towards her this time. "Well, guess what Luke, you're my therapy." She whispered when he reached her.

The two were now standing so close. The only sound was that of their breathing. They kept gazing into each other's eyes, unspoken words passing through them - a mutual understanding.

Luke reached up and cupped Ellie's face. "You're my therapy too, El," he said before crashing his lips down onto hers.

***

I know this isn't that long but i wanted to update for you guys so i hope you like this! Let me know what you think in the comments! :D And if you liked this please do drop a vote! Therapy hit 7K and i couldn't be more happier :') Thank you all so much! I love you guys!

Dedicated to the awesome @Elle_Jay! Do check out her stories because they're beyond amazing!

Stay amazing xx

- Pooji