Chapter 6.2 Too close for comfort

Jessy Mendiola was everything the Matteo ordered. She was cheerful without being free spirited, stunning in a sizzling kind of way. Intelligent at the same time as being courteous. And completely straightforward. She worked for her father's company and had never nurtured any ambition to do anything else. 

Highly commendable, Matteo thought. Searching with his eyes and finding Sarah, who had once again been deserted by Paolo but seemed to be doing just fine among a group of the younger men.

Heavens, not only did he have to watch out for his brother, but he also had to give him some sound advice on how to handle his woman.

He hadn't been lying when he had once told his mother that he would go down the expected road by the time he was thirty five. It was a good age to marry and assume the responsibilities of having a family. 

Dinner was announced.

Sarah, he couldn't help noticing, was next to Paolo at the same table. She seemed to be having a wonderful time. 

How much had she drunk? He wondered grimly. Matteo drunk enough to appear sociable and then he stopped. 

His father tapped his spoon on crystal and gave a short but funny speech. He paid tribute to his wonderful wife and graciously thanked each and every one for making the tremendous effort to get to the mansion so that they could celebrate his wife's fiftieth birthday.

The round of applause was inspiring. Various people had a go at making speeches themselves. When the noise had died down, Paolo, who had always been his mother's favorite, did his best to give a serious performance. 

"After all this," Matteo began, standing up and lifting his glass in one last toast to the woman who had touched all their lives. 

Sarah meanwhile had consumed far more than she ever could remember in her life. Her glass had been permanently topped up. 

She was still aware of how powerful Matteo's brief speech was. It was passionate and moving. When she glanced across the table it was to see Mrs. Guidicelli dabbing her eyes with handkerchief.

Sarah had made a point of not looking at Matteo at all for the whole of the evening, even if she had been conscious of his presence there on the same table as her.

She cornered Paolo and whispered whether it might not be time for them to retire.

"The night is still young." He smiled back, giving her a hug. "Sweetheart, you were just glowing. Ang ganda ganda mo at nakuha mo ang paghanga ng lahat."

"Iba na ang tunog ng boses mo," Sarah said irritably.

Out of the corner of her eyes, she was aware of Matteo moving away from the table with Jessy on his arm. She turned her back on both of them.