Chapter 11.1 Live in hope

"Sarah?" She turned around to meet his eyes. "I want us to succeed here. Let's do everything we can."

"O-Oo.....A-alam ko." She tried to sound convincing.

"Relax, Sarah," he said easily. "You're no good to me all tensed up. I want your full attention on this meeting."

"Handa na akong gawin kung ano ang gusto mo."

His black eyebrows rose. "I wish." Two words he whispered and they started walking towards the elevator.

Once inside the elevator, he chatted easily about this and that, his manner relaxed and informal.

When they reached Boardroom 2 inside Raffles Hotel, immediately it was all business mode again. The focused, sharp mind she had come to respect and admire over the last six weeks homed in on the financial report from the foreign financier they are meeting.

She sat there, mutely.

The next two hours has been productive. As he had made his case, it sounded so simple, even compulsory.

Matteo was a very wealthy powerful man in his own right.

He handled the meeting brilliantly. He had impressed the soon to be shareholders of his vast production empire.

"Lunch, I think?" Matteo announced after the contract signing.

*****

"Sir....."

"Matteo, please," he interrupted softly.

"Sa tingin mo gaano katagal tayo dito sa Singapore?" Sarah asked casually when only the two of them were left inside the boardroom they borrowed.

"For as long as my business takes." He shrugged broad shoulders and stood next to her.

"Ganoon ba." She glanced down, fidgeting at the envelopes she was holding.

"Why are you so frightened of me, Sarah?" he asked quietly.

"Ha?" She raised her eyes to him.

"Natatakot ka ba sa akin?" He moved an inch closer to her. This time, she forced herself to stand still, her small chin raising a notch as she stared steadily into his eyes.

"I work for you, Matteo, that's all....."

"Maybe I don't want that to be all," he said tenderly.

Her eyes were locked with his. Her limbs frozen. Even as her brain was telling her to get out, to remove herself from the line of fire.