Chapter 2.2 Get in deeper

Things didn't seem so bad in the morning. Sarah woke early, missing the comforts of her own place and missing her son. 

Paolo was still sleeping and she smiled fondly at the figure curled under the blanket. He could have shared her bed, he knew that, but he had chosen the sofa and she had been quietly relieved. 

The only body she was accustomed to sharing her space with was that of a five year old. It would have been uncomfortable having Paolo in her bed with her. 

Even though he would have kept to his side. He was not a restless sleeper. 

She'd met a lot of men who'd said things they didn't mean, made promises they broke with shameful ease. Paolo was different from them. 

She trusts him. They are good for each other.

Sarah climbed out of bed. Dozing had become a thing of the past. Ever since she had Gabby her body clock seemed to have been reset to waking up early and collapsing in bed by ten.

She tiptoed across to Paolo and gently shook him until he had surfaced into a state of groggy wakefulness. 

"Kailangan kong tawagan si Yeng." she whispered, stroking back his hair, which was sticking up in odd directions. "Nasaan ang telepono sa lugar na ito? Hindi ko gusto na pumasok sa kuwarto ng sinuman ngunit maaaring tumawag na ako ngayon habang ang lahat ng tao ay tulog pa rin."

"Out of the bedroom.....hmmm....." He half sat up and frowned. "Heavens, it's been so long since I've been here.....Bakit hindi mo na lang gamitin ang mobile phone ko? Pwede kang pumunta sa baba sa pool at tumawag. Out through the front door and then turn right and keep going. Gusto mo samahan kita?"

"At bawian ka sa iyong pagtulog?" Sarah smiled. "Hindi ko pinangarap 'yon."

~*~*~*~

She spent fifteen minutes washing her face and brushing her teeth. Then she fixed her hair, and changed into a pair of cropped jeans and a white printed T-shirt and headed out with Paolo's phone.

This was the first time she had been away from her son and she was missing him as much as she had known she would. Even though she knew that he would be fine back in Manila. 

He was at school during the day. He is under the care of Yeng, her best friend since their teens who had moved in for the duration of the week to look after him.

She was already dialing the number as she made her way outside to the pool area. The pool was a way away from the front of the house and surrounded by protective plants. 

She glanced up once and paused at the beauty of the spot. She could admire later, she thought, turning her back on both the pool and the view.